Russian Breeding

tylerfitz420

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Greenbush, NY
I have 1 male and 3 large females Russians and need to know-how long should the male be kept with the females for breeding purposes? I have a large outside enclosure with plenty of places for the females to escape and hide.
All the females have laid eggs before . Females are 15 years old and the other 2 are about 10. The male is also about 10 years old and about 7 inchs. Thanks in advance.
Debbie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This will vary greatly. Some people just let them live together full time, while others put them together for a few day or a few hours. People using either method seem to both succeed and fail at getting babies. Russians seem to be sort of hit or miss this way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Russian yard is appx. 16'x30', and is wildly overgrown with tall weeds and grass. I keep the male in with the females (1.4) and there has been no trouble with this. In my experience, the male is active and breeding only sporadically. I see him pestering a female maybe once a week or so, the rest of the time I never see him.

My problem with getting babies is that I don't ever see the nests being dug, so if I do get eggs, the ants eat them before they can hatch. This is a people problem, not a tortoise problem.