Russian feeding issue?

Balenae

5 Year Member
Hi there! New poster.

So I've had a Russian tortoise for almost two years (that was an interesting Christmas), and while I suppose I'm not a new tortoise parent I certainly have a lot to learn. My little critter's name is Boris (super original I know) aka 'the turtleburger', and I've been steadily improving over the years but I've made a lot of mistakes! He's in a nice big opaque enclosure now, reasonably deep substrate, but it could be deeper. A nice log to hide under and a cozy basking spot with a rock he loves to stretch out on. He seems a lot happier in there than the big glass terrarium.

So, that's sort of his situation, but my question is about feeding him. I made the mistake early on of giving him just what I had in the house, which was, fortunately, organic romaine lettuce. Unfortunately though, he won't eat anything else. He turns his nose up at dandelion, collards, spring mix, -everything- except romaine.

I've stopped putting that in for him and just put spring mix, but he won't eat it and I'm worried about him.

For supplements I used to put a light sprinkling of nutrient powder on some of the leaves. He ate around it every time! There's a cuttlebone in there for him that sits untouched.

I'm not sure what to do for him or if I'm doing the right things. I've done my research but haven't seen a solution for this. I understand that it's the time of year where they slow down and think about hibernating, so he'll eat less anyway. So perhaps this isn't the best time to attempt to change up his diet. I've been trying to on and off for almost two years and I usually crack before he does.

Any advice would be a help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

If you have a food processor you can put your romaine in it and grind it up until its mush. Then chop up some greens - turnip greens, dandelion greens, escarole, endive, raddiccio, etc - don't have to use all of those but a couple different kinds. Chop it up into small pieces and mix it all up with the romaine mush. You can also add a pinch of calcium/mineral powder to the mixture. Just a pinch. Supplements don't taste good and if you give too much, they won't eat it.

Over the next few MONTHS, slowly decrease the amount of romaine mush you mix in with the greens. Don't do it too fast. Take it slow.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Ahhhh, yes. Good old romaine lettuce... I have cared for tortoises that were addicted to it. At the risk of sounding like a smart alec, my best advice in getting such a tortoise to eat other things: don't feed romaine any more. Our little Greek went on a total hunger strike for a few weeks, and now he eats anything I offer. :) It's worth it in the long run, because romaine doesn't have a lot of nutrition... you just have to out-stubborn your tortoise. :)

Balenae said:
Hi there! New poster.

So I've had a Russian tortoise for almost two years (that was an interesting Christmas), and while I suppose I'm not a new tortoise parent I certainly have a lot to learn. My little critter's name is Boris (super original I know) aka 'the turtleburger', and I've been steadily improving over the years but I've made a lot of mistakes! He's in a nice big opaque enclosure now, reasonably deep substrate, but it could be deeper. A nice log to hide under and a cozy basking spot with a rock he loves to stretch out on. He seems a lot happier in there than the big glass terrarium.

So, that's sort of his situation, but my question is about feeding him. I made the mistake early on of giving him just what I had in the house, which was, fortunately, organic romaine lettuce. Unfortunately though, he won't eat anything else. He turns his nose up at dandelion, collards, spring mix, -everything- except romaine.

I've stopped putting that in for him and just put spring mix, but he won't eat it and I'm worried about him.

For supplements I used to put a light sprinkling of nutrient powder on some of the leaves. He ate around it every time! There's a cuttlebone in there for him that sits untouched.

I'm not sure what to do for him or if I'm doing the right things. I've done my research but haven't seen a solution for this. I understand that it's the time of year where they slow down and think about hibernating, so he'll eat less anyway. So perhaps this isn't the best time to attempt to change up his diet. I've been trying to on and off for almost two years and I usually crack before he does.

Any advice would be a help.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I gather that the tough love approach has not worked. I like the idea of chopping other veggies and sticking them to the wet leaves of Romaine to start your tort toward a healthier diet. Add a few pieces of grape leaves to the wet romaine and your tort will begin a varied diet.

I also find that starting a tort with a small bit of Romaine and then putting out other healthier choices sometimes works. It seems once they start eating they want to continue even if it's not their favorite.

Good luck.