Russian hatchling with swollen scute seams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Coast of California
My cb Russian hatchling (5 mos) seems to have swollen, soft scute seems along one side.
Here is a photo. She is eating and behaving fine, gets 4-5 hours a day of sunshine and regular soakings. During the day she is outside in a grass/dirt enclosure and at night or on cold days she is inside on coco coir and cypress mulch.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Attachments

• 100_0099.JPG
    100_0099.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 107

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That just looks like areas of new growth to me. I have only seen a couple of russians grow up from hatchlings though. I'd love to hear what someone with more hatchling Russian experience has to say.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
hard to tell, but that looks like some real big growth lines.. do you weigh him? did he just have a growth spurt?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's new growth. Are you saying it is only happening on the one side?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cathy:

Sometimes they grow more on one side than on the other. It seems to balance out, though, and they don't look lop-sided. It may help that other side (the side not swollen) if you take a Q-tip and paint some vaseline or olive oil on the seam.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
Hi Cathy:

Sometimes they grow more on one side than on the other. It seems to balance out, though, and they don't look lop-sided. It may help that other side (the side not swollen) if you take a Q-tip and paint some vaseline or olive oil on the seam.
Geesh, just go ahead and tell her what to do, before she can answer my question so I can tell her. :p :D

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
Jacqui said:
emysemys said:
Hi Cathy:

Geesh, just go ahead and tell her what to do, before she can answer my question so I can tell her. :p :D

Well, I'll answer yiour question anyway. Yes, it does seem to be on one side.

Thanks so much. I won't worry now and I'll put some olive oil or vaseline on it. Any preference? I have both.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I prefer to use olive oil. Others say vaseline is ok, but its made from petroleum products and I think that that is drying. You want to lubricate, not dry. But only paint the seams.

Cathy L said:
Jacqui said:
emysemys said:
Hi Cathy:

Well, I'll answer yiour question anyway. Yes, it does seem to be on one side.

Thanks so much. I won't worry now and I'll put some olive oil or vaseline on it. Any preference? I have both.

Kailey

5 Year Member
The sides of my Russian hatchling, 5-6 months old, look the same. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.