Russian or Sulcata Tortoise

Angjenk

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello,
My husband and I are getting ready to adopt a tortoise from a rescue. As we prepare to make its habitat and after doing research we want to make sure we prepare accordingly.
The rescue wasn’t able identify the specific “type of tortoise” as they said maybe a Russian or Sulcata... so I thought I would get a popular opinion. I’ve attached a photo of him and I know he is 12 lbs. uncertain of age. TIA 523F91CF-A793-46FE-8A93-B122B5166AB2.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The rescue doesn't know the difference between a sulcata and a Russian. That's like not knowing the difference between a long haired chihuahua and an English Mastiff. Wow.

Where in CA are you? At that size, this sulcata can live outdoors year round with a heated night box. Are you aware that they dig massive burrows, grow to over 100 pounds and will destroy your back yard and turn it into a barren desert? This is the wrong species for most people.

If you still want to do it, here is the care info, and also a few threads on building a heated night box. The first thread is for smaller ones, but the most of the info still applies to bigger ones too.

You'll only need one door, and a box half this size could work well for a single tortoise.

Questions and conversation are welcome. :)

Angjenk

CA
The rescue doesn't know the difference between a sulcata and a Russian. That's like not knowing the difference between a long haired chihuahua and an English Mastiff. Wow.

Where in CA are you? At that size, this sulcata can live outdoors year round with a heated night box. Are you aware that they dig massive burrows, grow to over 100 pounds and will destroy your back yard and turn it into a barren desert? This is the wrong species for most people.

If you still want to do it, here is the care info, and also a few threads on building a heated night box. The first thread is for smaller ones, but the most of the info still applies to bigger ones too.

You'll only need one door, and a box half this size could work well for a single tortoise.

Questions and conversation are welcome. :)
Thank you for all the tips. Yes obviously we are taking the commitment seriously as we are taking the time to do research. To the rescues defense it is typically a rescue for horses and they came about this tortoise inadvertently. It was given to them as a “Russian” tortoise, but they said it seemed to be inaccurate based on his size, which is why I thought posting to a forum with experienced tortoise owners as a good place to get a “for sure answer.”

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Hello,
My husband and I are getting ready to adopt a tortoise from a rescue. As we prepare to make its habitat and after doing research we want to make sure we prepare accordingly.
The rescue wasn’t able identify the specific “type of tortoise” as they said maybe a Russian or Sulcata... so I thought I would get a popular opinion. I’ve attached a photo of him and I know he is 12 lbs. uncertain of age. TIA View attachment 289469
Looks like a Sulcata. My friends is 4 yrs old and 80 pounds! My boy is one yr old and 3 pounds

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for all the tips. Yes obviously we are taking the commitment seriously as we are taking the time to do research. To the rescues defense it is typically a rescue for horses and they came about this tortoise inadvertently. It was given to them as a “Russian” tortoise, but they said it seemed to be inaccurate based on his size, which is why I thought posting to a forum with experienced tortoise owners as a good place to get a “for sure answer.”
Where in CA are you? Different answers for Mammoth vs. Manhattan Beach.

The stuff I said in the second paragraph was not an exaggeration. I'm happy to explain further if you have more questions.

Angjenk

CA
Where in CA are you? Different answers for Mammoth vs. Manhattan Beach.

The stuff I said in the second paragraph was not an exaggeration. I'm happy to explain further if you have more questions.
I am located in the Central Valley. Nice and hot summers.