Quality of life for a tortoise in rainy costal Oregon?

Jll

Location (City and/or State)
Southern, OR
After doing some research, it seems Southern Oregon isn’t the best place for a Sulcata, what do you think?

Our area has 8 months of the year with average low temps in the 40’s.

there is a rescue needing a home and I’m so uncertain about this. Thank you for any advice.
IMG_5222.jpeg

Jll

Southern, OR
In my opinion, if you got the means in space and money, any tortoise can just about live any place.
Thank you, we have the space outdoors but I feel like it would be under a heat lamp most of its life. 😓

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After doing some research, it seems Southern Oregon isn’t the best place for a Sulcata, what do you think?

Our area has 8 months of the year with average low temps in the 40’s.

there is a rescue needing a home and I’m so uncertain about this. Thank you for any advice.
View attachment 359702
You are correct. Wrong place for a giant tropical reptile that needs a giant warm space to room around in daily. I wish more people would realize this ahead of time like you have.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I had a pile of sulcatas out of Salem Oregon for years. I used oversized, homemade dog type houses with oil filled radiator heaters. But I had the room and the drive to keep them healthy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you, we have the space outdoors but I feel like it would be under a heat lamp most of its life. 😓
Obviously, according to those that do it or have done it, that wouldn't be the case. A large heated shed for the really bad days, opened to the outside for the tortoise to have a choice wouldn't hurt either.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Is there a reason you are all or nothing on sulcata? Have you looked at other species?