Russian tort with irritated eyes

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Hi everyone :)

I have a horsefield/Russian tortoise and live in the uk so due to the weather we keep her inside!

I keep her in an open top tortoise table and use coco coir as substrate with straw/hay type thing for when she goes up to sleep!

Lately she has had really sore eyes, she keeps rubbing then and the other day they were quite red, I bought some eye cream from the pet shop and put that on and I give her long soaks every day anyway, they seemed to get abit better then.

What could be the cause of this? I don't want her to be poorly :(

Thanks,
SarahImageUploadedByTortForum1394200198.780907.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394200302.728365.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
RE: Russian tort

First of all, if the substrate is too dry that could cause eye irritation. What is your humidity?

I've also seen straw cause eye issues. It stays dry because if you keep straw wet it will mold.

I would try removing the straw. If you want something for the upper level try providing a hand towel for your tort to bury into.

Also, make one side of your lower level almost damp with the moistened coco coir. See which side the tort prefers. The lamps do dry our the coco coir on top, so raking the coir under the lamp will even the moisture in that area.

Good luck.

Can't tell from the photo, is there a water source in the enclosure?

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Russian tort

Yes there is a plant dish filled with fresh water every day!

I use a bulb like the bottom one but it's not a mercury vapor bulb

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Russian tort

My tortys eyes have got worse :( any suggestions?? ImageUploadedByTortForum1395785018.386334.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1395785030.418116.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1395785066.917934.jpg

Could it be lack of humidity? I have an open top table so looses humidity easily?

Maybe a change in diet?

Substrate?

Just want to make her better :(

Last edited by a moderator:

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Russian tort

Her eyes are getting worse! And she hasn't pooed for 2 days!

Please advise!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Russian tort

Turn off the light for a while. I think you may have it too close to the substrate and maybe you need to raise it up. In its place, just temporarily, put in a 100 watt incandescent bulb. NOT one of those spiral shaped bulbs, but a regular household bulb to provide the heat needed.

Does the tortoise eat?

Do you soak the tortoise? Place the tortoise in warm water that comes up to the middle of the sides of the tortoise and leave it there for 15 minutes. Don't worry about the water cooling off. It can't get any cooler than the temperature in the house. Soaking will help the tortoise clean out the eyes in case there's something in there irritating them.

If this doesn't clear it up, you may need to take the tortoise to a vet.

AWW

I would burry their rocks a little so that it doesn't poke him. And put in a wet small towel or get a mister and mist water over the substrate.

Captain Albert Watson Walkslow

Recent tortoise owners.
Future Pharmacist.
And also a biologist.