Russian tortoise eating dirt

oceanmaster234

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi! My russian tortoise Herman was just reintroduced to his outdoor home after his "indoor winter time". He's now roaming about, but I saw something peculiar. I offered him some lettuce and weeds, and he ignored it. Not too unusual, but I later saw him trying to bite at the wet ground in his enclosure. I found out that he is trying to eat some mulch. I have offered him lots of food, and his enclosure is packed full of natural plants and weeds, but he still insists on eating dirt and mulch. The only advice I have found while looking through this forum is either give him more water or more food. He has a water dish that he knows about, as he walked right through it a few minutes before all this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes when a tortoise eats rocks or dirt it's because he's lacking some basic minerals in his diet. Buy a product called "Miner-all" mfg'd by Sticky Tongue Farms. If the pet store doesn't sell it, you can buy it online. Just sprinkle a tiny pinch over his food occasionally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! My russian tortoise Herman was just reintroduced to his outdoor home after his "indoor winter time". He's now roaming about, but I saw something peculiar. I offered him some lettuce and weeds, and he ignored it. Not too unusual, but I later saw him trying to bite at the wet ground in his enclosure. I found out that he is trying to eat some mulch. I have offered him lots of food, and his enclosure is packed full of natural plants and weeds, but he still insists on eating dirt and mulch. The only advice I have found while looking through this forum is either give him more water or more food. He has a water dish that he knows about, as he walked right through it a few minutes before all this.
Do you feed him mostly grocery store greens? If yes, this is common.

I agree with Yvonne's solution. I recommend this every other day for a couple of weeks, then taper it off a bit. This is not the same as using calcium powder. Calcium supplementation will likely make it worse.

Shuler24

Michigan
Yep agree about the Miner-all Sheldon did this last year when we put him outside, so we started to dust his food with it and it helped. He will still do it once and a while, but not all the time. We just try to sprinkle it on once or twice a week depending on what we observe.