Russian tortoise eggs rolled after uncovering

Future4Animals

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, il
Today I accidentally came across a nest of three Russian tortoise eggs in their enclosure. All three are intact but unfortunately rolled from the original positions. I did my best to figure out which way was up. I candled all three and they are solid at this point. It's the beginning of July and I'm assuming they are well into their incubation. My question is what's going to happen if I put them back in the wrong position? I know the first couple weeks are crucial as the blood vessels are forming and attaching to the egg itself. But at this point is that the same case? Will it suffocate if it is turned over? I feel like a dope about the whole situation. Any help would be appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All I can say is a member used to ship eggs for people to hatch themselves. I do believe he would ship them though when they were ready to hatch withing like a week or so of shipping.
Maybe the members I tagged below can help further.
@Tom
@Markw84

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Today I accidentally came across a nest of three Russian tortoise eggs in their enclosure. All three are intact but unfortunately rolled from the original positions. I did my best to figure out which way was up. I candled all three and they are solid at this point. It's the beginning of July and I'm assuming they are well into their incubation. My question is what's going to happen if I put them back in the wrong position? I know the first couple weeks are crucial as the blood vessels are forming and attaching to the egg itself. But at this point is that the same case? Will it suffocate if it is turned over? I feel like a dope about the whole situation. Any help would be appreciated.
There is a period of time when the eggs are first laid, before any development has started, that you can rotate them without it being a problem. Some people say 24 hours, others say 48. I don't know the answer and have never tested for that.

Anecdotally, I've heard of eggs that got accidentally rolled that still develop and hatch just fine, so I'd give it your best try anyway.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It seems the critical period that I am concerned about is the period after about 1 week and to 4-5 weeks of incubation. I give it a wide margin as some can develop at different times even in the same clutch. In that period, the embryo attached to the inner wall of the shell and the veins start to develop. At that time, turning or jarring of the egg can kill the embryo. Later in the incubation, the embryo is much more robust and floats freely inside the egg. Although I still am careful not to turn eggs at that later time, it seems it can have much less critical effect and normally causes no harm if done accidentally. Within a few weeks of hatching they are quite resistant to harm from moving the egg.