Tortoise left outside overnight and health questions.

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Yes lack of roaming room needs to be addressed so whilst im making dietry and lighting changes i am saving up to make a better space for her. Gonna DIY a bookshelf into a table. Roaming space as of now will be a lot of outside time until everything is sorted which will hopefully be sooner than later! Is MDB a life hindering issue? i want her to live a happy pain free life :(
Sounds wonderful, you’re being a very caring owner❤️

If it’s a mild case of MBD(which yours doesn’t look extreme if there is any imo) correct husbandry changes and diet goes a long way in helping the animal live a perfectly normal, happy, healthy life. I can’t say it will go away completely, but there’s absolutely no reason whatsoever that your girl can’t live a happy pain free life once things are corrected😊don’t worry too much💕

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I do think if you say she struggles eating sometimes, the suggested beak trim would be a good idea, and start feeds off of a large serving slate, it helps naturally wear their beak down😊

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh lord thats quite scary. Is there anything i can do to further prevent it worsening or are my planned changes enough?
These photos arent in day lighting as there’s no sunlight where i am, i hope that is okay.
Thanks for the photos. From this point it doesn't look like MBD is present or progressed far. As stated above - the planned changes will prevent metabolic bone disease. This is the condition when tortoise lacks calcium or vitamin D3 to absorb it and bones get soft and porous. Even if it's present in some extent - you timely implement the required changes and with time bones will recalcify. So underbite beak is probably a genetic thing in your case.

Besides feeding off the slate, providing raw, non-cut foods helps to keep the beak in shape. It should be trimmed, yes, to help your tortoise bite foods.

Grxciea

Swindon england
Quick update to all those interested. I have filled my dad in on my plan for a bigger indoor area and i believe i will get some help. He is very ignorant when it comes to stuff like this so this is a lot more exciting for me than it likely is for you.
This means that roaming space will come sooner than later which will allow me to create a good setup for the correct bulbs and lighting.
I have made a weekly order for recommended grocery greens until i can begin to grow food for her.
For fibre i’m going to buy grass pellets to soak as well as many more food items. I will attach these below as well as my monthly plan.

Attachments

• IMG_3560.jpeg
    IMG_3560.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3561.jpeg
    IMG_3561.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3566.png
    IMG_3566.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3565.png
    IMG_3565.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3564.png
    IMG_3564.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3563.png
    IMG_3563.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3562.png
    IMG_3562.png
    203 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3567.png
    IMG_3567.png
    66 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3568.png
    IMG_3568.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Quick update to all those interested. I have filled my dad in on my plan for a bigger indoor area and i believe i will get some help. He is very ignorant when it comes to stuff like this so this is a lot more exciting for me than it likely is for you.
This means that roaming space will come sooner than later which will allow me to create a good setup for the correct bulbs and lighting.
I have made a weekly order for recommended grocery greens until i can begin to grow food for her.
For fibre i’m going to buy grass pellets to soak as well as many more food items. I will attach these below as well as my monthly plan.
This sounds great.
1. For installing lights and heats over "bookshelf" enclosure you can use spare shelves and make Π-shaped mounting points (24-30" high). You will need two: for the basking area (UVB light + basking lamp) and another in the cold part for ambient heating in colder months.
2. Instead of grass pellets, Komodo pellets, dried Hibiscus flowers and ProRep pellets you can get smaller packages of Agrobs Pre Alpine Testudo, Arcadia Optimized52, Hikari Mulberrific Delite or ZooMed Grassland toppers/dried foods and mix them with grocery greens (including green lettuce), rotating them when bag is over. This will give more variety and more natural food texture.
3. Coco coir brick is titled as "potting mix" - please check, that it's pure coco coir without amendments.
4. @Littleredfootbigredheart is Wundapets orchid bark is what you use for Squirt?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Wow no this is definitely just as exciting to me!! I myself came up against it when it came to our family red foot, she belongs to my moms partner who had just gone by what the shop had told him, which was completely useless information, it took a lot of back n forth discussion to get the information across, so I’m VERY happy for you! It’s wonderful he wants to help❤️

Yep like Alex said, building your own stands would be good, I think I included some examples in my first post to this thread, just make sure not to solely rely on the clamps some bulb fittings come with, they can fail, so it’s always best to hang them securely via a hook and cable ties, something to that effect🙂

Do double check that coir is just pure coco coir!👍

And yes the wundapets orchid bark is what I’ve used for squirt, it’s taken me through a lot of back n forth research after seeing they’d added pine to their title, generally speaking pine bedding has been considered toxic to reptiles, however after looking into things further from multiple sources, including a very good reptile vet, it seems our pine bedding differs from typical US pine bedding and is prepared differently, making it safe for substrate use.
I’ll admit I’m still in the process of looking into it all, but as it stands, I’ve been told it’s perfectly safe, just something to bear in mind. If any of this makes you feel cautious, you could always go for forest floor instead, however it is much more expensive as their bags don’t run very big. I personally don’t think you’ll have any issues with the orchid bark, we haven’t, but I wanted to make sure you have all that information to consider your choices😊

The orchid bark in the US is made of Douglas fir, but Douglas fir is far more expensive in Europe, hence our orchid bark is different, however it doesn’t mean it’s necessarily unsafe for reptile use👍our pine trees do differ from the US too.

Grxciea

Swindon england
Wow no this is definitely just as exciting to me!! I myself came up against it when it came to our family red foot, she belongs to my moms partner who had just gone by what the shop had told him, which was completely useless information, it took a lot of back n forth discussion to get the information across, so I’m VERY happy for you! It’s wonderful he wants to help❤️

Yep like Alex said, building your own stands would be good, I think I included some examples in my first post to this thread, just make sure not to solely rely on the clamps some bulb fittings come with, they can fail, so it’s always best to hang them securely via a hook and cable ties, something to that effect🙂

Do double check that coir is just pure coco coir!👍

And yes the wundapets orchid bark is what I’ve used for squirt, it’s taken me through a lot of back n forth research after seeing they’d added pine to their title, generally speaking pine bedding has been considered toxic to reptiles, however after looking into things further from multiple sources, including a very good reptile vet, it seems our pine bedding differs from typical US pine bedding and is prepared differently, making it safe for substrate use.
I’ll admit I’m still in the process of looking into it all, but as it stands, I’ve been told it’s perfectly safe, just something to bear in mind. If any of this makes you feel cautious, you could always go for forest floor instead, however it is much more expensive as their bags don’t run very big. I personally don’t think you’ll have any issues with the orchid bark, we haven’t, but I wanted to make sure you have all that information to consider your choices😊

The orchid bark in the US is made of Douglas fir, but Douglas fir is far more expensive in Europe, hence our orchid bark is different, however it doesn’t mean it’s necessarily unsafe for reptile use👍our pine trees do differ from the US too.
i’ll definitely take a look at the coir then. My only issue is i have not a clue the right way to setup a uv tube and what to hook lights on however im sure my dad will help with that. I’m hoping if i pay for everything he’ll help as its not coming out of his pocket 🤷‍♀️

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Just in case you wanted to do some more in depth reading on the matter, you could skim my thread on it🙂

As for the uv, the T5 Arcadia comes with everything you need to mount from what I remember when we installed ours, it comes with instructions too, essentially just mount it to a piece of timber and hang it from your stand if you need to adjust the height, if the height of your stand is spot on, you can mount it to that😊 you see the long strip hood thing in the photos? That’s the reflector the uv bulb is in, those are some of the kind of stands you can make to mount it, it’ll be an easy part don’t worry, we can help if you have any questions when it arrives!😁

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1672.jpeg
    IMG_1672.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
As for your lights, here’s some examples, again they’ll be easy once you figure it out, im sure your dad will help you with that side of things😊

Id personally opt to make the stands for the lights the same shape as the uv one, so you have the option to move your basking bulb more away from the edge if you wish, but hopefully these give you an idea on hanging them👍

Attachments

• IMG_1873.jpeg
    IMG_1873.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2029.jpeg
    IMG_2029.jpeg