Russian tortoise eyes problem: help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikokoko

5 Year Member
Yes, the enclosure is on the balcony we have on the roof
It took one week to build it, but we think it was worth it

But what d you thnk about parasites?
Woud it be good the deworming therapy once a week per four weeks?

This evening he doesn't feel good, he is weak and doesn't react
Today he seemed to have nervous shots, maybe was it because of his blindness?
do you have any suggestion on how to force him to open his eyes, infact we noticed that he eats only when
he can oper them

Thank you for your reply

October

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I think that's a really neat enclosure. Totally worth it.

Well, if they vet determined he has parasites after testing his feces, then yes, you'll need to antibiotics, though I thought the dosage is normally more than once a week.

I wouldn't try to force his eyes. You can try using a wet cotton swab to wipe them to hydrate them, but don't use any kind of force.

You can try hand feeding him. He wont eat what he can't find. Try finding something he likes the smell of and rub it all over some weeds and lettuce then hand feed. My Russian REALLY likes cherries, so if it were me, I would rub the juice of one all over some dandelion and just patiently hold it in her face. Wait till kiko opens his mouth, if he does, and gently put some in there.

Good luck! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Roberto:

The reason you are soaking your tortoise is so that his eyes will open. If you soak him at least once a day for about a half hour, he should open his eyes in about 3 days. Keep up the soaks.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Your vet is doing the best he can.
However, there are people with decades of experience on this site, and they have rescued many tortoises.
Soaking is completely harmless, but also very, very likely exactly what your tortoise needs, every day, if not twice per day.
If you want to give your tortoise a chance, soak him as advised.
And try to hand feed him as suggested, along with rubbing fruit juice on the greens for extra temptation.
I did find with mine that the worm treatment does upset their stomach, but may indeed be necessary, so you just have to get through it.

kikokoko

5 Year Member
Hi,

it is the second day we soak kiko
Today we also managed to make him eat some blueberries and radish

IN these days the weather is pretty cloudy so we decided to keep him at home to avoid sudden drops in temperature at night

One question: how can we do to keep the soaking water warm as it lacks the warm sun and hot spot seems to bother him?

However now he seems a bit more hydrated, even if he hasn't opened his eyes yet

Bye

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Sounds like he's doing a little better. Nice work Roberto!

It's tricky to keep the water warm without a light or sun. One of things I do is poke big holes all the way around the container I soak them in where you want the water level to be. Then you can let the tap flow very slowly to recirculate the warm water. Also, the bigger the body of water, like a bathtub with a couple inches in it will stay warmer longer then just a small tupperware. Be creative and see what you can come up with. If he's not moving much, you could probably just use a chin-high dish and let the water run in it, since he wont try and get out.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am glad to hear there is some progress...I do have a question? In his enclosure in the pic I could not see what you use as shade for him? Maybe it is just not visible? If he is dehydrated he absolutely needs the soaking..... :D

kikokoko

5 Year Member
hello everydoby !

kiko is glad to inform you that after a week of soaking,
he seems to be better

Now he opens his eyes more easily
(see the attached shot I've taken this afternoon)

Maybe also the deworming therapy has taken effect

But anyway, we are continuing to keep him to soak

we hope that even better..

Thank you very much !

bye

Roberto

Attachments

• KikoAfterSoaking.jpg
    KikoAfterSoaking.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 104

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't worry that your water cools to room temperature. Your tortoise is big enough to withstand room temperature soaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.