Russian tortoise help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Not really, I heard you were supposed to soak twice a week, but now that I know I should be soaking in the mornings I will be now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
With a new tortoise, especially one that isn't eating, it is good to establish a routine so that it settles in. Knowing what to expect when can make all the difference. If they don't eat properly, they can quickly become dehydrated.

Once or twice a week works for mature tortoises, but small ones particularly those kept indoors need soaking more frequently.

If the same things happen at the same time each day it helps to reduce stress.

I suggest the morning goes something like: lights on, heat on, soak, feed...

My soaking tips are:
1. Soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts.
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat.
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than him. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Those soaking tips are great thanks! Im gonna switch my substrate to a top soil coconut coir mix.

This is Sheldon this morning taking his bath!

Attachments

• image-1989711388.png
    image-1989711388.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Great tips. The water in his dish may not be very warm.
It might be a good idea to get a small plastic container, fill with shallow, warm water, up to the bottom of his shell, and soak him in this. The warmth seems to help them perk up.
You can get some liquid bird vitamins and squirt some in the warm water as well.

Yes, after he is active and in a routine, you can decrease soaking to 2-3x per week. But initially, a daily soak can really perk them up.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Another thing seemed to pop up, ive noticed he has been making sneezing type noises, is that normal to sneeze 16 times in one day?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Not necessarily normal. Soak him in warm water (not his enclosure dish) daily and don't let him get chilled. Your temps sounded good previously.
If he does not perk up by Monday, I would consider having him see a reptile/tortoise vet. Might be a good idea to check him over and do a fecal test.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Ive decided that he was most likely raised in an outdoor, large enclosure, and an indoor enclosure just isnt good for him, he seems so happy outside!

towelie200

5 Year Member
Just gotta find a good place to keep him in my yard! Then gotta get him to eat and he'll be set!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Just keep his temps right, soak him regularly and get him outside for even an hour (watch him like a hawk) until you get your outside set up. Stick with his care every day, and he should show interest in eating soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.