Russian tortoise house

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristersIDlv

5 Year Member
Hello. I have decided to make new house for Russian tortoise, because in Latvia she can live outside only for three months. I already have made the project, ad I`ll realize it tommorow, but I have serval other questions, what to place inside house. I`ve readed tortoises need UV light - will http://us.100y.com.tw/PNoInfo/50271.htm be good enought? And I`ve readed tortoises house need sands on the floor, is that thruth? And what else tortoise house need? House project, http://kristers.id.lv/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/scan-002.jpg - it can`t be changed, because it`s placement in real life.

My tuttlr looks like theese - http://www.google.lv/search?hl=lv&q...&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Hello Kristers, and welcome to the forum!

Looks like you are making some good plans. They do need UV light, but they light that you posted will not work, it is not the right kind. You should get what is called a MVB, or Mercury Vapor Bulb. They provide both UV and heat for your tortoise, and tortoises need to be kept warm enough or they cannot digest food and become sick. This is the type of bulb that you need - http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/product.php/5530/1001/exo_terra_solar_glo_sun_simulating_lamp

I do not agree at all with using sand. Sand can be irritating and stick in their eyes and mouths, and if they accidentally eat some, it can cause an impaction that can result in death. I like to use plain soil that has no fertilizers or chemicals added to it.

Hope this helps! Maybe some of our European members can chime in and give you some more advice on where to buy supplies.

Missy82

5 Year Member
south wales
I have the same problem in the uk I use an mvb for uv and heat. I use topsoil for substrate. I think youve really thaught about it but whenever u can put him outside even if its only for half hour do thry are far happier outside. Also please remember russians are brill at climbing and if there is an escape route they will find it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi KristersIDlv:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I do believe that you are our first member from Latvia. So glad to have you here. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when you have the habitat all completed.

May we know your name?

kristersIDlv

5 Year Member
My name is Kristers, and I live in Latvia. I`m 13 and I have one tortoise - called ÄŒupa(Stack in English), and sometimes Uipis(I dont know what it mean in any language of the world, but sounds nice in Latvian).

rupucis-c48dupa-49.jpg

Today I draw project on the wood, and cut it off. Tomorrow I will nail it together, put plastic sleeve on it, and maybe nail the wall`s.

IMG004.jpg

Kristina said:
I like to use plain soil that has no fertilizers or chemicals added to it.
My English knowledge are not good and I dont understand, what is plain soil. Is it something like compost, or gravel, or compost together with gravel?

And how material in pictures are called in English(translate from Latvian are something like this - river bottom gravel)?

scan-003.jpg
scan-004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Soil is just clean natural dirt without fertilizer or other things added. Sometimes we find it in garden or home supply stores. There should be enough for him to burrow or dig down in, about 6 inches. You can have some rocks in his enclosure as well.
It does look like his beak (upper part of his mouth) is a little long. It should be filed down with a nail file, or by a Vet who knows about tortoises.
Do you soak him in a tub with shallow water 2-3 times per week?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No, no gravel. Compost would work if it has no chemicals and is well seasoned. Plain soil is just dirt, clean dirt with nothing added, no sand, no rocks, no gravel.

Status
Not open for further replies.