Russian Tortoise Lamp Fixtures

kirbytherussian

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I just have a couple quick questions about light fixtures.

Right now I have the 5.5 inch clamp lamp from zoo med, and a 100 watt light bulb to accompany it. This would have to be my fourth light bulb and second light fixture I've gone though in the year that I've had my russian tort. While the light bulb that i'm now using has lasted the longest (Same model as the other 3), I can't quite figure out why the other ones burned out so quickly (Within one to two months of purchase). I've heard that it could be the dome shapes light fixture that i'm using, as the heat emitted from the bulb is almost reflected from the some shape back into the bulb, burning it out. I don't know if this is true, as I've had the light fixture that I'm on now for the past two bulbs and only the first one blew out, but I would like to know as if it is, i could be saving a LOT of money.

I plan on purchasing another lamp fixture, as I recently built my russian tort Leo a new enclosure the fit the room in the new house we just moved into, as its big enough that two lamps should be used to provide enough heat for 1/2 the enclosure, as 1 was all he needed before. Along with that i plan on buying a replacement for the UVA/UVB bulb he has now, as it's getting old, and a new one to fit into the second light fixture.

I was just wondering if there were any light fixtures you recommend (holds 100 watts), because IF there's a chance that the light fixture is whats ruining all my bulbs I don't want to waste $100 dollars on bulbs that will only last a month :)

On a final note- If there are any light bulbs you also recommend, as the light bulbs could just be crappy and be burning themselves out, I would love to know. The ones I've been purchasing are around $50 each and if there are any bulbs you use that work great and are cheaper I would LOVE the feedback.

Thank you all so much, I greatly appreciate any responses. I'm sorry I had to go on such a long spiel about Light fixtures and bulbs, it's just all the past bulbs burning out so quickly was as annoying as costly.Thanks again, and I wish you all luck in your tortoise care :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Incandescent bulbs get fragile when they're hot The filament can easily break if the light gets shaken or disturbed. You can make the bulb last longer if it can remain still.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I too have heard that deep dome lamps could make the bulb overheat and burn out quickly, but never used one myself.
Hanging a bulb is safer than clamps which could fail and fall onto tort or be a fire hazard.
Whatever bulb you choose make sure it isn't a coiled or loop type as these damage torts eyes, but here are more experienced folk here who can give better advise on bulbs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It sounds like you are using mercury vapor bulbs. Like a PowerSun?

If that is the case, you dome is too small. Go to Home Depot and get an 11" aluminum domed, ceramic based fixture for about $12. Or order it online for $8 or $9. Pet stores are generally not the best place to get equipment or advice.

Read this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/