Russian Tortoise lighting

Cinnamon563

5 Year Member
So while doing so research on some good plants to keep in my tortoises new tortoise table, I came across something on lighting and how certain bulbs can damage their eyes. Now I'm really worried that he's going to go blind. He currently has a regular heat lamp and a repti glo 5.0 compact UVB lightbulb. I read that the compact ones are bad for his eyes and that he should also have UVA rays. So what should I do, I want him to be happy and healthy. What are some brands of lights that would be good and where can I find them? I just spent almost 100 dollars building him a big new table because I have been keeping him in a small 20 gallon tank so a low price would be good but whatever it costs I guess I will pay because u want the best for my little buddy. Also I am still trying to figure out what plants would be good so I will take any suggestions on that too.

Thanks

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I think a lot of people recommend repti sun fluorescent tube-style bulbs. I am trying that bulb out soon. Stay away from coil bulbs. You can get repti sun bulbs from petco, and amazon sells them too. As for plants, spider plants, aloe, sedum (not sedum arse), echeveria, jade plant, certain types of dracaena, pony tail palm, moses in a basket, thanksgiving/christmas cactus and hosta are all I can think of right now. thetortoisetable.org has a huge database of safe plants.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Where in the world are you?

Is it an option to get your tortoise outside for a few hours a week or more? If so, you can choose to not use artificial UV lighting indoors. The sun can be your free UV source! :cool:

If he can't get outside regularly then the long UV tubes are a great alternative to the coil bulb you are currently using.

Cinnamon563

5 Year Member
I'm in Florida I do let him outside a few times a week but its often very humid here but usually a good temperature except for lately nights have been getting down into the 60s. If it wasn't so humid all the time I would keep him outside more often.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
What type of tortoise is he? If it's a full grown adult of pretty much any type it can go outside for long periods of time in the sun in 60 degrees.