Russian tortoise supllies

Emy104

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Ok so I am interested in buying a Russian tort and I been researching and researching but there is so many different things people reccomend I am starting to have no clue what to and what to not buy. It would be great if someone could help me on this journey and offer me some guidance on what to and to not buy.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
The supplies will depend on whether you are getting a hatchling or an adult. Which one are you wanting?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
You will need at least an 8'x4' enclosure to help your tortoise thrive. Even bigger is better. Where in the US are you located? My tortoise lives outside year round with a heated night box for winter time. I live in Louisiana, so we have milder winters than most. Do you have a yard for an outdoor enclosure?

Emy104

USA
You will need at least an 8'x4' enclosure to help your tortoise thrive. Even bigger is better. Where in the US are you located? My tortoise lives outside year round with a heated night box for winter time. I live in Louisiana, so we have milder winters than most. Do you have a yard for an outdoor enclosure?

I live in pa so right now its fairly cold so we are gonna start building a tort table and then when it gets warmer out we are gonna work on something outside for the tort

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I don't have an indoor enclosure, but here is my outdoor. I have wire also attached to the underside to keep our little guy from digging out and escaping. We love him too much to lose him. We then filled up his enclosure with cypress mulch and organic top soil. I planted some herbs I knew he wouldn't like but could use them for shade, provided lots of different hides for him to choose the perfect spot each day, and we then added on another 4x8 section we call his winter retreat because his heated house is in that part. I plant different leafy greens (collards, kale, etc) for him to nibble at his leisure and transplanted some weedy sod pieces from our yard so it would spread. He has dollar weed, wild strawberry, and dandelion greens growing in there. His heated house has a basking bulb for day heat and a CHE so the temp doesn't dip too low at night.

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 42

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi
If you trust the information you get here . Why not find someone on here that sells Russian torts even if they sell baby’s whose better to trust then someone on here that sells Russian torts ? But do what you think is best . Good luck [emoji217]

Emy104

USA
Hi
If you trust the information you get here . Why not find someone on here that sells Russian torts even if they sell baby’s whose better to trust then someone on here that sells Russian torts ? But do what you think is best . Good luck [emoji217]
I might look into doing that

patscarr

NY
I don't have an indoor enclosure, but here is my outdoor. I have wire also attached to the underside to keep our little guy from digging out and escaping. We love him too much to lose him. We then filled up his enclosure with cypress mulch and organic top soil. I planted some herbs I knew he wouldn't like but could use them for shade, provided lots of different hides for him to choose the perfect spot each day, and we then added on another 4x8 section we call his winter retreat because his heated house is in that part. I plant different leafy greens (collards, kale, etc) for him to nibble at his leisure and transplanted some weedy sod pieces from our yard so it would spread. He has dollar weed, wild strawberry, and dandelion greens growing in there. His heated house has a basking bulb for day heat and a CHE so the temp doesn't dip too low at night.

Wow! That's a fantastic encloser! How often do you have to clean out all the poop and pee and how do you do it?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Wow! That's a fantastic encloser! How often do you have to clean out all the poop and pee and how do you do it?
When I see poop, I scoop it out. I don’t see it very often. He does it in his water dishes so that’s easy to clean. I also soak him once a week and he goes in there often.