Russian tortoise

beav96137

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have had my Russian tortoise for about 6 months now just noticed that her shell has a crack along the edge I give her calcium everyday she eats romaine and dandelion leaves can't get her to eat anything else is there something I'm not doing that made the shell crack thanks

20180513_091054.jpg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi Does your baby ever get soaks?
What lights are you using? What are the temperatures inside your enclosure?
Can you post some pictures of your set up?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wells come!

I see a lot of newgrowth, however, I don't see a crack???

You need to use tough love with the diet. Stop offering lettuce. and only offer weeds and plants shown on the care sheet.

beav96137

California
I give her soaks at least 2x a week she tried kale 1 day then didn't want it it looks like crack on edge where the lip & round part meet thanks e1

Attachments

• 20180514_065600.jpg
    20180514_065600.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 30

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! We are glad you’re here.

In tortoise terms, the crack is between the bottom and lower right scutes. As if perhaps some keratin has flaked next to a growth line? Nothing to worry about, in my opinion but let’s see what Yvonne thinks.

I’m sorry to say it but there are quite a few problems with your setup, the most significant being that it is too small. The wrong setup and lighting can have quite an effect in your tortoise’s eating so let’s take a closer look at that.

Please take a look at these threads and come back with any questions you may have:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

beav96137

California
Welcome to the forum! We are glad you’re here.

In tortoise terms, the crack is between the bottom and lower right scutes. As if perhaps some keratin has flaked next to a growth line? Nothing to worry about, in my opinion but let’s see what Yvonne thinks.

I’m sorry to say it but there are quite a few problems with your setup, the most significant being that it is too small. The wrong setup and lighting can have quite an effect in your tortoise’s eating so let’s take a closer look at that.

Please take a look at these threads and come back with any questions you may have:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

beav96137

California
Thanks for all the information... that was the setup that was given to me when I got her I let her roam around the house a lot and then once it's warmer she gets in the yard she has a very good appetite and i was told to try to change her eating habits she has been enjoying the dandelion leaves this week instead of just romaine. Thanks for any help given I am up to suggestions I've never had a Russian I had a desert tortoise before

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Okay, well once you read the care sheet for Russians you’ll see why the enclosure is too small.

You’re going to get a lot of feedback on the dangers of letting your tortoise roam in your house. I’m not going to beat you over the head with as it’s something most new owners find hard to hear. I’ll just say that it’s another reason for your tortoise to have a large, secure enclosure.

It’s good you are working on the diet! Calcium is important but using it every day is too much, especially as your tort is an adult and isn’t going to be breeding. A little sprinkle now and again, like fairy dust! You can read more about that in the beginner’s mistakes thread posted up above.

Please don’t feel bad about any of the feedback; pretty much all of us got limited or old info when we first got tortoises. I certainly made plenty of mistakes! It’s obvious you care about your tortoise and want the best for her.