Russian tortoise

mirandajjj

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno ca
hello so I have a Russian tortoise and I have an enclosure for him and I wanted to move him outside, but I’m scared too just wanted advice and confirmation if it is okay for him to be outside in the night with Cali temps ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
hello so I have a Russian tortoise and I have an enclosure for him and I wanted to move him outside, but I’m scared too just wanted advice and confirmation if it is okay for him to be outside in the night with Cali temps ?
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of California tort owners on the forum. How old is your tort & how long have you had him? What part of California are you in? If you post a picture of your guy/girl & your outdoors enclosure, that will help our advisers 'cause we love photos!!

mirandajjj

Fresno ca
thank you for your reply I need to get a picture of my turbo, but I have had my Russian tortoise for about 4 months now he was purchased from pet smart which was a struggle trying to adapt and try new things out not to mention this was my first time ever having a tortoise . I want to keep him outside in a handmade enclosure, but I’m scared since this is my first time

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
I'm tagging @Yvonne G for you.
She is in California will give you great advice.

Meanwhile you may find this useful

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with Turbo's outside enclosure. Lot's of nice and knowledgeable people in this forum as well as a lot of great care guides. You came to the right place.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Miranda, and welcome to the Forum.

I put my Russians out last week (I'm in Clovis), and they're doing fine, however, they were already acclimated to living outside and had been brumating on the carport.

So for your new Russian, who has been living indoors, what you do to acclimate him is to put him out on sunny days then bring him back inside at night. Today it's only supposed to be in the mid 60s, but it will be sunny, so go ahead and put him out, but bring him back in later this afternoon. After you've been doing this for a couple weeks, you can leave him out all the time, providing your outdoor tortoise yard is safe and escape-proof.