Russian UVB and Enclosure Size

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
My Russian tortoise, Boris is about 4-8 years old and I’ve had her for a couple months. She lives in a 6 ft. By 2 ft. enclosure. She also gets time outside to roam around the backyard (with constant supervision) for about 4-5 hours each week. Is that ok or does she need a bigger enclosure? I was planning to build a 6 ft. by 4 1/2ft. when it gets cold and she can’t go out, but now I’m worried that’s too small too. She’s about 4.5 inches.
I also need to get a better UVB because I recently learned the one I have is bad and can hurt their eyes. Do you think I need to buy one right now since she goes outside so much? She gets at least one hour each week of sun.
I found a UVB bulb that isn’t coil but it’s also not a MVB or strip bulb, it’s on amazon from the company mycomfypets. Is that safe is should I go with an MVB or strip bulb?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
The bigger the better is always something this forum will recommend. 8ft x 4ft is usually what members would recommend for a single adult Russian tortoise. While members fully understand that some people may have jumped into tortoise ownership too early, didn't know tortoises actually use a lot of space in the wild, and plain just don't have that amount of space to spare.

The idea is to give as long and as wide as you can reasonably spare, I would recommend building the larger enclosure you were planning on. The extra width would definitely give them a lesser sense of being walled in.

You don't need artificial uv(B) bulbs if you take your tortoise outside at least a few times a week. It's definitely good to have but not necessary if you're keeping up with the routine.

I am not familiar with mycompypets brand. You'll have to link the product to this forum for members to give you a good answer. The only safe uv(B) bulb type is T5 florescent long-tubed style bulbs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

6x4.5 is better than 6x2, but shoot for 4x8 if you can.

Your tortoise does not need indoor UV if it is getting 3-4 hours of sunshine weekly. It would b=pobably be a good idea to get a UV bulb for fall/winter if you are not going to hibernate your tortoise. I recommend the Arcadia 12% HO, or the ZooMed 10.0 HO tubes. Best to have a Solarmeter 6.5 to measure UV output at tortoise level, so you can set the bulb height correctly.

Roaming around the yard is not safe. It can't be made safe, and you can't supervise closely enough. You will eventually lose your tortoise if you keep doing this. We see it here all the time. You need to make a safe, secure enclosure for outside time. Many ways to do this.

Check this out for more info:

Questions and conversation are welcome.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If your Tortoise is getting outside a couple hours a week you don't need artificial UVB indoors, just a basking light ( @Tom ).

Reactions: Tom
Indiana
Thanks for the answers. I will stop letting her out to roam. I'm going to move stuff around in the room she is in to see if I can fit a larger enclosure. I was going to build an outdoor one but decided to wait until next year because it is already getting colder.
And sorry, one more question- when I get an MVB can I put it in the double fixture that came with the Zoo Med desert kit that I got when I first got her (I do not use any of the bulbs that came with it now) or would I have to buy a different one?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thanks for the answers. I will stop letting her out to roam. I'm going to move stuff around in the room she is in to see if I can fit a larger enclosure. I was going to build an outdoor one but decided to wait until next year because it is already getting colder.
And sorry, one more question- when I get an MVB can I put it in the double fixture that came with the Zoo Med desert kit that I got when I first got her (I do not use any of the bulbs that came with it now) or would I have to buy a different one?

1. Don't use mercury vapor bulbs. They are unreliable, runs hotter than incandescent flood bulbs, and will stop producing uv(B) in a matter of months.
2. Don't use the double lamp fixture from zoo med. The opening is too small and doesn't help spread out heat from a bulb like a proper work light does. Use this instead. Cheaper, more durable, more effective, Never use the clamps:
3. Instead of a mercury vapor bulb, use a incandescent flood style bulb 65watt for basking and a separate T5 lighting fixture with a uv(B) rated bulb for your indoor setup. That is if you still wish to have a uv(B) light for your indoor enclosure.