Sad Day

rebeccalynn1208

If anyone recalls, a long while back I posted about the death of my tortoise. Getting a necropsy done I found out that he had a hereditary kidney disease. There was little to nothing I could do to stop it in time. This led me to worry about the other tortoise I got from the same herd. Today, I found out this one has it as well. I have a bunch of medicine for her to prolong it, but I was told to soon expect her to overcome to her disease. It's a sad sad day in my tortoise world. :(

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I am very sorry to hear this. I think you should notify the breeder or wherever you got them from. Time to stop breeding those tortoises.

rebeccalynn1208

I'm hoping that if I continue giving her the medicine and up the soaks and just make everything as perfect as possible it just turns out to be an infection not a life affecting disease. I know it's wishful thinking but....its keeping me sane.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. I agree the breeder should be notified and if they which torts laid them they should stop breeding them and if they don't, maybe you could post warning post on all forums

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Is there a common hereditary kidney disease found in tortoises? I am so sorry for your loss and continuing struggle. If it isn't too difficult, I think many of us could benefit from hearing more details about the necroscopy results and diagnosis process. I am wondering how a genetic cause was confirmed on necroscopy - are there some distinct physiological indicators of this particular disease other keepers and vets should look out for?

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
So very sorry. I agree the breeder should be notified and if they which torts laid them they should stop breeding them and if they don't, maybe you could post warning post on all forums

If they knowingly breed animals with defects them that falls under the humane treatment of animals laws right?

I'm not saying charges should be pressed its just I have read online of them being pressed on a guy for breeding cats with split paws he was selling as "snow shoe cats" because it made their feet real wide or something like that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they knowingly breed animals with defects them that falls under the humane treatment of animals laws right?

I'm not saying charges should be pressed its just I have read online of them being pressed on a guy for breeding cats with split paws he was selling as "snow shoe cats" because it made their feet real wide or something like that.
I don't know if it would or not. Most likely not. I would let them know and ask them if they would stop breeding them. They may not know exactly which one it is.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm so sorry. i will be very sad too. God bless!!

rebeccalynn1208

Is there a common hereditary kidney disease found in tortoises? I am so sorry for your loss and continuing struggle. If it isn't too difficult, I think many of us could benefit from hearing more details about the necroscopy results and diagnosis process. I am wondering how a genetic cause was confirmed on necroscopy - are there some distinct physiological indicators of this particular disease other keepers and vets should look out for?

When they went through the necropsy the first thing they noticed was the kidneys looking abnormal. They ran some tests and found it dry as a bone. And inflamed signifying a kidney infection. At first that's all they thought it was, a horrible infection that the baby just couldn't fight off because it wasn't caught in time. When I brought in the live one for her check up they first did some blood work. They found her calcium was very low and urates really high. They also found her extremely dehydrated. Even after the medication treatments and strict diet and bulbs the next time I brought her in the calcium amount was EVEN LOWER and nothing was better. They determined then that this wasn't some awful infection it was something that she has probably had her entire life. When I told them that this was from the same herd as the deceased they determined it hereditary.

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
I'm sorry for the shitty deal before you. I empathize and can't imagine how it feels. T me that's why I have Torti is so you don't have go through the loosing a friend but maybe once when your really really old or perhaps die before the tort. Who knows but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your Torti.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I am so sorry, this must be so hard. Try to focus on what good care you are giving him.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am so very sorry you've had to go through this and that it is dragging on without resolution.
Must be awful for you.
Sympathies.