Safe grass feed?

MikeyG86

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum, I have posted in the introductions section for anyone that's interested.

I am looking for advice on lawn care because Timmy my 12 year old (I think) Hermanns has the whole garden to himself but my lawn needs some TLC but obviously I don't want to do anything that could cause any harm to Timmy. I've never seen him eating grass but he does the few dandelions that grow in the lawn. Im wondering if anyone has any advice on safe products to feed and seed my lawn? I know there are child and pet friendly products out there but oddly enough none of them ever mention tortoises lol.

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I wouldn't use anything bought at a hardware store or nursery. Those lawns are meant for decoration, not consumption.

Products made for horse or cow pastures will serve you best, BUT, hermanni are not grass eaters. Your time would be better spent trying to grow broadleaf weeds, clover, alfalfa, grape vines (for the leaves), hibiscus, lavatera, gazania, pansies, nasturtiums, etc…

Here is a mix that I have had great success with:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

You can also get all sorts of great seeds here:
https://www.groworganic.com
I use their pasture mix for my sulcatas and grass eating SA leopards, and I use their non-dormant alfalfa for all my tortoises. In the past I've also used their endive and arugula seeds with great success.

We might have more ideas if we saw a pic of the enclosure.

MikeyG86

I have got a patch of weeds for him which includes various clover, forget me nots, dandelions plus a few others that I don't know the names of but were bought from place that sells seeds that are good for tortoises. I also have some other plants dotted around the garden that he can eat but they are still young plants.

My main concern is that I want my lawn to look it's best and to do that I need to feed and seed it, not bothered about weeding as Timmy will eat them anyway. But I don't want anything that will harm him when he eats the weeds and if he ever eats any of the grass. I'll have a look into products for cow and horse pastures as you recommend thanks.

I should also possibly mention that I'm in the UK