Safe plant for red foot

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Can anybody tell me some red foot tortoise safe plants that I can add into my Rfs enclosure. Also what kind of substrate I would need to put down for the plants?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Any plant you buy needs to be washed of it's dirt and placed out of reach until all possible chemicals used in and on it has disappeared. About 3 to 6 months. Pothos, Boston fern, hostas to name a few. If you can get them from someones yard that is chemical free or from a cutting, you can use them now at tortoise height.

Florida
Any plant you buy needs to be washed of it's dirt and placed out of reach until all possible chemicals used in and on it has disappeared. About 3 to 6 months. Pothos, Boston fern, hostas to name a few. If you can get them from someones yard that is chemical free or from a cutting, you can use them now at tortoise height.
Ok thanks

Florida
Any plant you buy needs to be washed of it's dirt and placed out of reach until all possible chemicals used in and on it has disappeared. About 3 to 6 months. Pothos, Boston fern, hostas to name a few. If you can get them from someone’s yard that is chemical free or from a cutting, you can use them now at tortoise
What kind of substrate do I put the plants in, once I put them in his enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The same substrate you have your tortoise on. Orchid bark or fir bark or coconut coir is mostly recommended. I like coir for hatchlings and coir with one of the barks on top for older ones.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Repot the plants and place the pots into the Orchid bark
Most plants just don't do well. Between the insufficient lighting, trampling and nibbling. Be prepared to replace them regularly.
Most indoor enclosures with live plants (that I've attempted) have been complete failures. But Lyriopi and Spider plants can work. So can some ferns and Pathos

Florida
Repot the plants and place the pots into the Orchid bark
Most plants just don't do well. Between the insufficient lighting, trampling and nibbling. Be prepared to replace them regularly.
Most indoor enclosures with live plants (that I've attempted) have been complete failures. But Lyriopi and Spider plants can work. So can some ferns and Pathos
Ok, thanks

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Can anybody tell me some red foot tortoise safe plants that I can add into my Rfs enclosure. Also what kind of substrate I would need to put down for the plants?
Hi! Go with potted plants, don't use perlite, pumice and similar stuff (or only in the bottom half of the soil mix). If you want decorative plants - the best you can do is to keep them away from your tortoise and use dense clumps of grown plants so they are perceived as an obstacle.
Here is one idea how make to do that (wall pockets): https://tortoiseforum.org/media/albums/beshas-enclosures.1217/

Plants to use: spider plants (not resistant to mechanical damage), pothos (vines will be chomped in the middle so farther end will die off), wandering jew (will be dragged out of soil and torn apart and broken), coleus, prayer plant (use some kind of support or it will be broken and dragged out of soil), boston ferns (drops a lot of small dry leaves, make sure to clean them timely), elephant's ear (safe for redfoots, but try to keep it out of reach anyway), polka dot plant (trim it to make more dense and shady).

Bright good "full spectrum" grow lights is a must. Otherwise plants will die quickly. For watering is better to use drippers to keep soil top less damp otherwise you'll get some mold on it.

Bioactive enclosures are good, but should be fairly large and need good planning and lot of efforts to make them "up and running".