salad only diet

Hainsy

We started feeding our two 8 month old Hermanns salad for convenience and now they won't eat weeds.

I've tried only putting weeds in their enclosure but they don't seem to be eating them.

I know it isn't ideal but I guess I'd rather them eat only salad than not eat the weeds and starve.

Any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They won't starve themselves. So withhold the salad and feed only the weeds. The weeds are much better for them. If you can't do that, then chop up the salad and weeds together, putting in more weeds and as they eat this, do less and less of the salad until there is only weeds left

Hainsy

Thanks.
I feel guilty not giving them salad as the like it so much more than weeds.

As the saying goes you've got to be cruel to be kind. I guess its like sweets and vegetables with a child. Kids like sweets and would eat them all the time. But it's not a good diet so you need to give them the veg as well.

:tort::)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I keep a base mix of 'salad' and 'weeds' with ever changing things to prevent this whole fixation thing that the tortoises do. Keep both in the diet with no one of the two classes of items being less than about 20%. Then if you get in a bind, you are not facing this situation again.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Mix up the weeds with the salad, and they'll start to eat them again.
My tort is funny like that with lettuce, he only wants the junk food :D