Same Food Everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Do tortoises get tired of eating the same kind of food everyday?
Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
There is no way to know that for certain I suppose...I would imagine just as we like to switch it up for us human folk they would too....although we realistically eat a certain parameter of food within our diet we just change them around...so I suppose the same would apply? :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Humans live to eat, animals eat to live. I can't say for sure if they do, but I try and provide a variety anyways.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Yes, they do. In the wild, they would roam looking for first, ANYTHING to eat, then something tasty, needful, or interesting. Monotonous diets tend to limit micronutrients and bore the tortoises.

It is not like you need to offer a wild variety each meal or over a week's time, but variety adds interest, micronutrients, and more.

River14

5 Year Member
Kristina I read your article on feeding and I am 100 % in agreement. Thank you very much for that it is very reassuring.

I scan the super market every day in case something within the perimeters is suddenly available. My little cows make do with fresh grazing until I find the odd treat. Today I found black berries so I tossed two in the grass for them to find. Who knows sometimes they do and other times they just cant stop eating grass to bother.

Its rather extraordinary but some species would rather chomp grass than eat anything else, it seems getting them used to this with just the odd chance glorious discovery like a juicy berry is the way to go. I must get a cuttle bone from the bird market.

I so like the idea of the oppertunistic eater it makes complete sense. They may even not even stay in such a place of abundance as "a fig tree dropping fruits" for long as along comes a troop of baboons or small antelope making free eating a bit difficult. So they scurry off to the next spot.

I feel a small radio attchment on the shell like a reciever would be ideal to monitor the movements of a tortie.

Im sure we will find that they eat anything in moderation.

My greatest pleasure back home in Africa is waiting for the first rains to to fall after a long long dry or drought or just dy season. Suddenly the most obvious little animals are the tortoises by the hundreds and hundreds all tip tip toeing hurriedly on little nails to the road to drink at the puddles.

All sizes but only one shape, little smooth helmets on four legs in a hurry.

R

rusty9thayer

Oh yes Kristina I read your article and I do agree with you. We also don't like the same type of food everyday then how will tortoise will eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.