San Diego Super Show - June 27 & 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
Just thought I'd start a thread, interested to see if any/many of the members here were planning on attending this show. We will have a booth there, and it'd be nice to be putting faces to names. I've met a few people from here before (past shows), but looking at my tally, I'm missing about 99% of you LOL. Anyone headed to the show?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I won't I will still be in hawaii that weekend and coming home the same weekend, would love to go though.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I plan on attending that weekend though I am not sure which day. More than Likely Saturday. But this time I will introduce myself Tyler. I'm looking forward to it.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Crazy1 said:
I plan on attending that weekend though I am not sure which day. More than Likely Saturday. But this time I will introduce myself Tyler. I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, I think I remember you, but remind me when you come by.... I'll have lots of stuff there, probably around 15 tortoise tables (I remember you liked those, this time they have screen tops), somewhere around 100-120 tortoises and between 12 and 15 tortoise species, but still deciding what all to bring or leave. The hardest part is getting that many separate cages there!

ten_ten

5 Year Member
hello! I'm a new member and I will be going ^_^ !~ I'm hoping to take home a baby tortoise. I will definately stop by your booth! It will be my first time going and I'm really excited to see all the cool reptiles! like a kid in a candy store! haha!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yep that's me. I thought your tort tables were awsome. And for those of you who do not know they are not made of wood. So they should last a long time. Tyler are you using Screen or hardware cloth?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
The tops are black aluminum screen. I couldn't mount hardware cloth into the aluminum frames, plus I think the hardware cloth is much more "shaggy" looking, and I was trying to keep these looking sleek. The screening isn't bulletproof, but is enough to keep a cat or a bird out. A medium sized, determined dog would probably get through if he had much time to try.

At the show, I will have a handful of smaller ones (don't remember the size, but I think they're about 16"x24"), as well as the standard size that is on my site (which is 18"x30"). I won't have any of the massive ones (they were 24"x36") I had in Pomona, they were too expensive to ship, and not as sturdy because of the larger span size of them.

cage1.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Tyler my concern would be that with the screen the UVBs do not penetrate. That is why I asked aobut the hardware cloth.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Crazy1 said:
Tyler my concern would be that with the screen the UVBs do not penetrate. That is why I asked aobut the hardware cloth.

I think the amount of UV-B blockage that comes from aluminum screen is pretty over-hyped in forums.... I would guess that as far as density, this screen blocks out no more than 20% of the light and rays that pass through it (where the shade cloth that I pul over the tortoises outdoors is 85% density or shade). The wires are so thin, it's probably no more restrictive to the rays than 1/2" hardware wire cloth (which have thicker wire). The wires are so much closer together, they're also thinner and comparitively the same density as hardware wire cloth. That might have been confusing.... I just keep reading (in various forums, tortoise and otherwise) that screen like this blocks out 90% of rays (for example), and there's just no way that would be true when it's +/- 20% density.

Status
Not open for further replies.