Scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My last vet visit I was told that my tort lost weight. He also told me I could bring her in and have her weighed anytime I wanted but, the office is 30 minutes away and I don't want to take her out in the cold for at least an hour just to weigh her. So I was thinking I would like to get a scale to keep track of her weight on my own. My question is: does anyone know where I can get a decent scale for a low price? Does any one have any suggestions as what type I should get?

-Thanks, Melissa

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Kitchen scales from Walmart work well for small torts. I also have a good 2 kg scale I got as a gimme from Royal Canin at a cat show, so there are some inexpensive ones of size out there.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Does it matter if its ounces or grams? The vet told me her weight in grams.(I think)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
yah i got a small postal scale at Walmart (near the tape and packaging supplies) that weighs up to 3 lbs, that works well.

then if you want it in grams, just use an online measurement converter (pssst anja... where's that link???)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I went online and found a J-SHIP 265 shipping scale. Its digital and weighs items that are 200lbs and down to 1lb. Problem with it is the surface is only about 10" square, so if your tortoise's legs hang over you don't get an accurate reading. But its good for the smaller guys. I'm thinking about taking Dudley (close to 100lb sulcata) to Petsmart. They have a nice large scale for dogs and they said I could bring him on in.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
What if you put a board on top of the scale that is big enough to fit the tort and either zero out the scale to start from zero or minus the board weight.. would that work? Or could you not see the read out?
DO they have a flat table roll cart at petsmart to get dudley our of your car? !

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The kitchen scale I got at Walmart weighs in both grams and ounces. 28.35 grams = 1 ounce

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I got mine at walmart. It measures in ounces and grams.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
my big girls' legs hang over the scale too, so when I weigh them, I just put them on their back! problem solved!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What I do is use a clear plastic box on the scale. Zero it out with the box empty, but on it. Then you can see the numbers thru the bottom of the box. Keeps all the tort on the scale to be weighed. Also one model I have used, allowed you hit a button and it locked the recorded weight in place.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
DO they have a flat table roll cart at petsmart to get dudley our of your car? !

I bought Dudley his own wheel barrow. Its a large contractor's wheel barrow and it has his name painted on the side. He's pretty good about staying still until we get where we're going.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.