Scarring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyfce

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378941044.190575.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378941054.685477.jpg

These are photos of two Sulcata hatchlings that I recently received via backwater reptiles, the first one seems to have some scarring of some sort, I am not sure what it is and the second is his friend who we aren't too worried about. But in the center of the "scarring" the plastron is not strong. They eat well and get a lot of sun so I can't see that It could be a dietary problem.

Also, anyone's opinion on gender? Would be most appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
They sure are cute!!....what I can see of them. lol I am not sure about the scarring. Someone should reply soon that can help you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Too young for sexing. The scaring is from the yolk sack most likely. If its all healed, which it does look like, there probably is nothing to worry about. How old are they? Also, if you haven't read them yet, Toms threads for proper raising of a sulcata is located at the bottom of my post.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Too soon for sexing.

But I will arbitrarily say first one is female, second one is male.

mikeh

5 Year Member
The scarring is a remnant of yolk sac. It looks normal, nothing to worry about. With proper diet, UVB and calcium intake it will harden as he grows.

You won't be able to know what sex the tort is for some years to come.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.