Sebastian! New here. Advice?

sadielady

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia, USA
Hello. I recently picked up a Russian tortoise someone needed rid of. He has my whole heart. When I get home from work we go out on "walks" for roughly an hour, where he eats grass. When we get back in I let him roam the house. I notice when he starts to get tired because he tried to hide under things to sleep, that's when I put him back in his make shift habitat. (Sometimes he falls asleep before I can even get to him)
I try to keep his habitat 75-80 with a hot spot of 90 or so. The humidity stays a little below 70%.

I can't figure out if he's been pooping or not, and it doesn't look like he's been eating anything (but grass on our walks). I also don't think he's drinking unless he's taking a soak with me. He loves sleep, sleeps from 8-8 everyday pretty much (in which I put the night heat lamp on and try to keep the temp in the 70s)

He jumps back in his shell of someone walks in front of him or if he notices sudden movements. I figured he's still a little shy from the recent move and the new environment.

Any advice people have for me will be greatly appreciated!
If I'm doing anything wrong or should add to our routine, Please let me know!

Also I'm trying to figure his age,

I'm currently trying to buy a tortoise table online (or make) but for right now I have an upside down tv stand. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433776820.635595.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433776847.394889.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433776870.606061.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

If you make a tort table about 3 or 4 times bigger than the one shown in your picture, that would be good. Or, even better yet...build him a safe outdoor habitat. They are good at climbing and digging so you need to make a very secure habitat to keep him from escaping.

Your tortoise is practically full grown. He looks like a wild caught, pet shop Russian tortoise.

The heat and humidity isn't as important for a Russian tortoise of his age. They can tolerate a little bit cooler environment.

Allowing a tortoise to walk around on the floor of the house is not a safe thing to do. There is too much down there for him to get into trouble with. We recently read a thread about a little tortoise that had his head in between the back of the door and the wall and the keeper, not seeing the tortoise, closed the door squashing the baby's head.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. There are lots of ways to set up an outdoor enclosure. There is an entire section on enclosures. Ask any questions you have. He is very cute.

sadielady

Georgia, USA
Welcome to the Forum!

If you make a tort table about 3 or 4 times bigger than the one shown in your picture, that would be good. Or, even better yet...build him a safe outdoor habitat. They are good at climbing and digging so you need to make a very secure habitat to keep him from escaping.

Your tortoise is practically full grown. He looks like a wild caught, pet shop Russian tortoise.

The heat and humidity isn't as important for a Russian tortoise of his age. They can tolerate a little bit cooler environment.

Allowing a tortoise to walk around on the floor of the house is not a safe thing to do. There is too much down there for him to get into trouble with. We recently read a thread about a little tortoise that had his head in between the back of the door and the wall and the keeper, not seeing the tortoise, closed the door squashing the baby's head.

That's terrible! The only reason I let him out and wander is because I have a VERY close eye on him. Even when he's around the house I am crawling around with him.

I'm curious if this one that I can buy him is a good size.

I would love to do an outdoor, but live in an apartment complex, so that is not something I am able to do. But I take him outside a lot and keep a very close eye on him. I love the warm weather myself and being out there.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433788501.202405.jpg

Killerrookie

That's terrible! The only reason I let him out and wander is because I have a VERY close eye on him. Even when he's around the house I am crawling around with him.

I'm curious if this one that I can buy him is a good size.

I would love to do an outdoor, but live in an apartment complex, so that is not something I am able to do. But I take him outside a lot and keep a very close eye on him. I love the warm weather myself and being out there.
View attachment 133361
Oh no it returns!! The Zoo Med tortoise table. It's ok, but you can build him a enclosure that is bigger than that for a lot cheaper price.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your tortoise.
When you go out for your walks, he is probably not just eating the grass, but a variety of broad leafed weeds, such as dandelion, thistle and clover that are very good for him as part of their natural mixed diet.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for lots of good information including temps and humidity.
Sleeping 12 hrs is perfectly normal, I think, though I don't have Russians, likewise, as long as he drinks when you soak him, he's probably fine.
Ducking back when someone moves quickly is also normal, he'll get used to you, but faster movements will always cause him to hide, natural defence, like you blinking.
Your enclosure idea is good, but don't go for the ZooMed, a bookcase (or two) on it's side with the shelves removed can be a good starting point.
4' by 8' is about the minimum size needed for a Russian, but really, the bigger, the better.
Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

sadielady

Georgia, USA
Oh no it returns!! The Zoo Med tortoise table. It's ok, but you can build him a enclosure that is bigger than that for a lot cheaper price.

Ok! I'm glad that I asked first.
I'll make sure to build my own, or find a bigger bookcase. Thank you so much!

sadielady

Georgia, USA
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your tortoise.
When you go out for your walks, he is probably not just eating the grass, but a variety of broad leafed weeds, such as dandelion, thistle and clover that are very good for him as part of their natural mixed diet.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for lots of good information including temps and humidity.
Sleeping 12 hrs is perfectly normal, I think, though I don't have Russians, likewise, as long as he drinks when you soak him, he's probably fine.
Ducking back when someone moves quickly is also normal, he'll get used to you, but faster movements will always cause him to hide, natural defence, like you blinking.
Your enclosure idea is good, but don't go for the ZooMed, a bookcase (or two) on it's side with the shelves removed can be a good starting point.
4' by 8' is about the minimum size needed for a Russian, but really, the bigger, the better.
Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
Thank you for the measurements and links! That really helps. :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. I'm happy you let them talk you in to a better enclosure . But I wish you would think more about letting your tort walk around the house . Something as simple as carpet fuzz is bad for a tort . And I do have Russian torts . Have a great tort day !

sadielady

Georgia, USA
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. I'm happy you let them talk you in to a better enclosure . But I wish you would think more about letting your tort walk around the house . Something as simple as carpet fuzz is bad for a tort . And I do have Russian torts . Have a great tort day !
I'll very much keep that in mind. I'm just trying to think of ways to let him explore, but maybe around the house isn't the best.