Seed Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
So I'm thinking about ordering the broadleaf testudo seed mix through tortoisesuply.com. Is that the best seed mix out there for an RT, or is there another?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
That is an excellent one. I like it because there are no grasses, which Russians don't eat, so they can take over.
Just follow the advice on the seed page about seeding very lightly, so some of the earlier sprouting weeds don't choke out the later sprouting ones.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
That is an excellent one. I like it because there are no grasses, which Russians don't eat, so they can take over.
Just follow the advice on the seed page about seeding very lightly, so some of the earlier sprouting weeds don't choke out the later sprouting ones.

Thanks. I was looking at the Carolina Pet Supply Russian mix as well, but that has grasses in it, which seems kind of pointless.

R114

5 Year Member
Jenncure said:
lynnedit said:

Thanks. I was looking at the Carolina Pet Supply Russian mix as well, but that has grasses in it, which seems kind of pointless.
Yeah, I bought the russian mix and it is almost all grass which my tort will not touch.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The one from tortoisesupply.com is my favorite, but why not try a few? My Russian doesn't mind eating some grass, but oddly, it passes through him mostly undigested, in contrast to my sulcatas or leopards.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Is that the same one you gave me, Lynne? :)

I was being a geek yesterday, looking at the different seeds, and I identified a bunch of them. Now I just need to plant them and see if I was right.

lynnedit said:

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Are there any other recommended seed mixes besides the Carolina Pet Supply or Tortoise Supply mix? I went to order from Tortoise Suply, but the shipping will cost just as much as the seeds. And I'd rather not get all the grasses with the Carolina Pet supply mix.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
lynnedit said:
I like it because there are no grasses, which Russians don't eat,

shh, dont tell my Russian. he eats a lot of grass ;)

Tom said:
My Russian doesn't mind eating some grass, but oddly, it passes through him mostly undigested,

I, too have noticed grass doesn't only go "in" but comes "out" as well.

The only other recommendation I'd have for you is to collect your own weed seeds locally if you can. Before I was growing all my own things, I went to empty areas that I knew where safe and collected seeds from the weeds growing there. Then, come home and plant!

It takes some effort to google info on local weeds and how to ID where the seeds are, etc. But I enjoyed it so it was no hassle. Best part is 2 fold. I learn about the local plants AND get free food. I haven't had to pay for food in......a long time.

contessa20

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:

I've read over and over that RT's don't eat grass. Someone should tell my Vladimir that because he practically mows my lawn when he's outside. He loves weeds but he definitely eats a lot of grass, too. :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This has turned into a very interesting discussion. Why do some Russians eat grass while others won't touch it? Is it a location specific thing, as in country or place of origin? Hmmm...

And Heather, I do the same thing with the seeds. People look at me like I'm crazy when I wade out into the weed fields with a little baggie in hand... :D I've collected mass quantities of dandelion, sow thistle and plantain seeds this way.

contessa20

5 Year Member
Tom said:
This has turned into a very interesting discussion. Why do some Russians eat grass while others won't touch it? Is it a location specific thing, as in country or place of origin? Hmmm...

Hmm interesting question. Maybe it's the type of grass.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
I have the seed mix from Carolina pet supply. My Hermann's loves the leaves but also ignores the grass so I just ordered some of the broadleaf variety. Maybe she will like that more!

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up ordering the Carolina Pet supply mix, because I could get that plus some TNT for the same price it would have cost me to ship the Tortoise Supply mix. I'm interested to see if Henry eats the grasses.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
If you go to the feed store, you can often get a non-grass grazing mix meant for cows or goats. It will have things like plantain weed, clover, roman chamomille and some other very edible plants. You can throw in some other edible plant seeds (marigold, mallow, dandelion etc) for your own mix. :) I collected a TON of plantain weed seeds from plants around here.

Jenncure said:
Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up ordering the Carolina Pet supply mix, because I could get that plus some TNT for the same price it would have cost me to ship the Tortoise Supply mix. I'm interested to see if Henry eats the grasses.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Some RT's do eat grass. My dude will bypass his spring mix and kale sometimes to chow on the grass seeds growing.

contessa20

5 Year Member
biochemnerd808 said:
If you go to the feed store, you can often get a non-grass grazing mix meant for cows or goats. It will have things like plantain weed, clover, roman chamomille and some other very edible plants. You can throw in some other edible plant seeds (marigold, mallow, dandelion etc) for your own mix. :) I collected a TON of plantain weed seeds from plants around here.

What a good idea. I hadn't even thought about doing that.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Carolina Pet supply sells individual seeds too, good if you don't have access to harvesting seeds in your area.
Get some Turnip and Chicory seeds. Make sure to plant the Chicory in a dry area; they get leggy if they are watered.
Actually, any of their individual seeds are great; you can supplement with ones that catch your fancy.
Don't overdo clover, it can kind of take over.

Arizona Tortoise Compound sells seeds too!

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
My russian eats crab grass and will eat wheat grass if I put it in her food bowl. All other grasses she ignores. She defiantly prefers broad leaf stuff though.

tortallyinsane11

5 Year Member
I was told that Russians wouldn't be likely to eat grasses or hay but when my grandson threw some Timothy hay to my Russians they chowed on it like it was candy?! And they already had their greens in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.