Seed mixes for leopard tortoises?

Yaaapops

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Does anyone have good seed ideas I could start planting? I already have grass but my tort only seems to eat the Lil cloves off the grass and that’s it.... looking for some possible dandelion seed ? Or any other recommendations my baby leopard tortoise might eat that I can grow for him myself! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does anyone have good seed ideas I could start planting? I already have grass but my tort only seems to eat the Lil cloves off the grass and that’s it.... looking for some possible dandelion seed ? Or any other recommendations my baby leopard tortoise might eat that I can grow for him myself! :)
I use and highly recommend this one:

I've also bought many seed from this site. All sorts of good stuff:

Another good way to go is with a variety of dried leaf offerings from kapidolofarms.com. Just mix it in with whatever else you are feeding that day.

Yaaapops

AZ
I use and highly recommend this one:

I've also bought many seed from this site. All sorts of good stuff:

Another good way to go is with a variety of dried leaf offerings from kapidolofarms.com. Just mix it in with whatever else you are feeding that day.
Thank you good sir! That is exactly what I’m going to order and try to grow I think my lil dude will love it. So far I’ve just been able to feed him store bought stuff... I did grow him some grass but he eats the cloves. I also cover his food in zoo med grassland to help him get nutrients. Do you think he needs some miner all? I’ve been worried but he’s starting to like to chew on the rocks I’ve put in his enclosure :/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you good sir! That is exactly what I’m going to order and try to grow I think my lil dude will love it. So far I’ve just been able to feed him store bought stuff... I did grow him some grass but he eats the cloves. I also cover his food in zoo med grassland to help him get nutrients. Do you think he needs some miner all? I’ve been worried but he’s starting to like to chew on the rocks I’ve put in his enclosure :/
MinerAll is a good idea for any tortoises eating a lot of grocery store greens.

Yaaapops

AZ
MinerAll is a good idea for any tortoises eating a lot of grocery store greens.
Awesome thank you. Based on your passed replies would it be correct to use 2-3 times a week? And I should buy the indoor version and still give him calcium 2-3 times a week also correct?

Yaaapops

AZ
Awesome thank you. Based on your passed replies would it be correct to use 2-3 times a week? And I should buy the indoor version and still give him calcium 2-3 times a week also correct?
I also make sure to favor endive and escarole. He loves mustard greens too and I try to add as much grass / zoo med when I can cuz he doesn’t like either by itself :/ I’m 100% going to be getting some miner all tho until I can start growing my own food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do supplements by "feel". There are many variables like age, size, what they are eating, etc... Calcium twice a week is a reasonable guideline and it should suit most situations just fine. There are many instances where I would use less, and a few where I would use more.

I'f you do the MinerAll 2-3 times a week to stop the rock eating, I would cut the calcium down to once a week, or skip it. Too much calcium and cause an imbalance that makes them want to eat more rocks.

Yaaapops

AZ
I do supplements by "feel". There are many variables like age, size, what they are eating, etc... Calcium twice a week is a reasonable guideline and it should suit most situations just fine. There are many instances where I would use less, and a few where I would use more.

I'f you do the MinerAll 2-3 times a week to stop the rock eating, I would cut the calcium down to once a week, or skip it. Too much calcium and cause an imbalance that makes them want to eat more rocks.
Thank you for the information! With additives I always figure less is more, makes me sad when I read people say everyday online ??‍♂️ I’ll keep you updated if anything doesn’t seem to be working, for the temp fix I removed the rocks but some day he will be outside and it will be unavoidable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the information! With additives I always figure less is more, makes me sad when I read people say everyday online ??‍♂️ I’ll keep you updated if anything doesn’t seem to be working, for the temp fix I removed the rocks but some day he will be outside and it will be unavoidable.
With a good weedy high fiber diet the rocks shouldn't be a problem. We typically only see that when people are feeding plain grocery store greens with no amendments. You will have things sorted out before that point.

Yaaapops

AZ
With a good weedy high fiber diet the rocks shouldn't be a problem. We typically only see that when people are feeding plain grocery store greens with no amendments. You will have things sorted out before that point.
Yeah I hope I’m feeding him enough nutrients right now while I’m working on growing some more stuff. It’s hard but I’m trying ? thanks again for not only this but everything you do I feel much more at ease having you and this forum for help