Seek for red foot diet

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for the advice. Right now we're still averaging 78-80 in the morning here with the sun, but not after a while, and in the winter she can't be let out of the box at all, even with a heater in the house.
And in addition to temperature, humidity is also a big issue, currently the indoor humidity is just around 50-60.
With an enclosed habitat. Or what we refer to as a "closed chamber enclosure" or a greenhouse. Keeping humidity up and warmth in is MUCH more simple. And I also very highly recommend buying or creating something similar.
Your keeping issues will disappear almost overnight

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh. And don't worry about blueberries. They are sometimes referred as "tortoise crack" but my RF ignores them too (nothing to lose, they aren't superior in terms nutritional value). Your like/dislike list is very close to my RFs taste (she didn't like pitahaya too). Some new food varietes might be cut or grated, so tortoise can bite them easily: mine doesn't eat cactus pads until I cut them in stripes, ignores papaya slices with skin and don't eat carrot until it is grated. But a bit later I will feed them as whole (such trick worked with zuccini).

wiery

Hong Kong
Actually @Alex and the Redfoot you did a fantastic job there.
Baby or just young tortoises can be pickier than adults. Just like humans. But a hungry Redfoot will eat whatever you offer it. They will not starve. Honestly. They'll give in.
They can eat any fresh, non processed meat protein. Vegetable matter. Flowers. Fruit. Cactus. Mushrooms. Commercially prepared pellets such as MAZURI 5M21 and almost anything that you and your family eat.
They have an absolutely huge menu of food items. So, offer a variety.
The best news is that adult Redfoot just eat whatever you give them. Most adults don't pick and choose.
Also, feed him every day. And try to feed at around the same time every day. They will start to know when it's time to eat.
Thank you, I will now pick the midday of the day when the sunlight and temperature is at its best to feed her, mainly with vegetables and fruits, reducing some of the artificial feeds, and I'll put her back in the thermostat after feeding.
I don't know if you remember a post a while back about a terrapin's strange leg movements, yes that was also posted by me, but there seemed to be a problem with that account email so the account was blocked. Since I'm abroad so I can't use the forum very easily, now that the new account and email problem seems to have been solved, I'm enjoying the forum environment and exchanging ideas with everyone.

Attachments

• P31022-101820.jpg
    P31022-101820.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • P31022-102803.jpg
    P31022-102803.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I want to know how people determine if the food given to terrapins is reasonable?

Previously I fed my red foot daughter a lot of tortoise food based(Mazuri), random lettuce veggies and fruits, which led to some protein overload for her.(a little pyramiding back and little obese)and she dislikes pasture powder .
So I want to improve her diet . Increase green vegetables and fruits and calcium supplementation, reduce tortoise food. Now I torn on veggies she can eat for a long time.

For example, some recipes suggest giving turtles okra, but some say to eat it sparingly, some say to try not to eat cabbage, and some recommend it. It's maddening.
The picture below is what I've been feeding her lately.
I can't help much. I'm new and sorting out the food myself. But. I feel the backyard and store greens related to "broadleaf weeds" they eat in the wild should be the base mine can eat for a long time. Mustard and turnip leaves are very much broad-leafed. I eat them. Can't stand collards myself, but it's on tortoise good lists. Random greens-looking weeds outside the house are some of Little Russian and Isabella's favorites. They look like stunted mustard greens. (Sweet things are frowned upon, so I avoid them.) Bought them an expensive bag of mixed young leafy things I thought we could share, but they were so bitter the tort children got them all. Yellow squash and zucchini were hits.

It is sort of maddening, but also educational and interesting to sort through and plan.

wiery

Hong Kong
I can't help much. I'm new and sorting out the food myself. But. I feel the backyard and store greens related to "broadleaf weeds" they eat in the wild should be the base mine can eat for a long time. Mustard and turnip leaves are very much broad-leafed. I eat them. Can't stand collards myself, but it's on tortoise good lists. Random greens-looking weeds outside the house are some of Little Russian and Isabella's favorites. They look like stunted mustard greens. (Sweet things are frowned upon, so I avoid them.) Bought them an expensive bag of mixed young leafy things I thought we could share, but they were so bitter the tort children got them all. Yellow squash and zucchini were hits.

It is sort of maddening, but also educational and interesting to sort through and plan.
Yes. RF have a bitter taste sensation, I was recommended to buy grass powder (for extra fiber and calcium) but she hates it, she won't even eat it when it's sprinkled on her favorite tortoise food.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Yes. RF have a bitter taste sensation, I was recommended to buy grass powder (for extra fiber and calcium) but she hates it, she won't even eat it when it's sprinkled on her favorite tortoise food.
What is it? I forgot to ask.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Calcium powder should be added in very tiny amounts or tortoise would not eat anything, same thing for mine. But cuttlefish bone (white oval things used for birds) works. When you feed Mazuri and provide calcium rich diet you can skip using calcium powder.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you, I will now pick the midday of the day when the sunlight and temperature is at its best to feed her, mainly with vegetables and fruits, reducing some of the artificial feeds, and I'll put her back in the thermostat after feeding.
I don't know if you remember a post a while back about a terrapin's strange leg movements, yes that was also posted by me, but there seemed to be a problem with that account email so the account was blocked. Since I'm abroad so I can't use the forum very easily, now that the new account and email problem seems to have been solved, I'm enjoying the forum environment and exchanging ideas with everyone.
Yes, I remember you post, of course. I've been worried that it suddenly disappeared. I'm glad that sorted out issues with your account. Welcome to the forum once again!