Seen this on FB. Ravens and DT

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
Interesting... It seems like here in Finland most people are still stuck on the thought that the only solution would be to kill the ravens. Or whatever animal whose population is too large or somewhere inconvenient (especially for humans).

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
LOVE IT ..... We are starting to antagonise the Ravens around us to keep our smaller torts safe. In the 10 years we have lived here the increase in traffic, then the increase in road kill have helped the Ravens explode in population. Not a lot of Humans where we live but lots and lots of traffic.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Interesting... It seems like here in Finland most people are still stuck on the thought that the only solution would be to kill the ravens. Or whatever animal whose population is too large or somewhere inconvenient (especially for humans).
I hate when that's the first solution people jump to. They usually go over board and then that animal now needs saving.
Hopefully in the near future, all places will realize there is a better way then death.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Trying to restore disturbed balance in the nature is tricky. While such decoys can scare off ravens from predating tortoise hatchlings for a while, they will switch to other kinds of prey. And if there are too many ravens they will exterminate some other smaller animal populations. And these birds are smart - they will learn sooner or later how to distinguish decoys from live tortoises. Nevertheless, it's a cool idea.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This guy came and gave a presentation on this concept several years ago at the California Hawking Club annual field meet.

His thought was that if we somehow incentivized raven hunting and a thousand hunters went out and killed ravens every week, it wouldn't even make a small dent in the raven population. He also explained that its only certain ravens that prey upon the baby tortoises, and only within certain areas at certain times of the year.

He also noted the study done in Washington State at a University with the masks. Generations later, even ravens that were not alive when the initial capturing was done, reacted with aggression toward people wearing the masks that scared their parents and grandparents. In other words, the ravens taught their offspring what was a threat and what wasn't.

Given the above, his idea was to make ravens have a very nasty, awful experience with a baby tortoise and the grape flavor "explosion", but not harm them so that they could go teach their offspring and other ravens that those little tortoises pack an awful punch.

If I recall, he came to the meet about 7 or 8 years ago. I haven't heard any updates on his progress or if it is working or not. Sure seems like a neat idea.

I hunt rabbits with my Harris hawks in areas where the rabbits are greatly over-populated due to human activities that keep the natural predators at bay. Harris hawks are generalists and other birds are on the menu. I've often considered raven hunting due to their over abundance and the destruction they can wreak on the environment... If I ever didi it, I'd do it in the areas where DTs occur and try to knock out some of "those" ravens.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Was just watching an episode of The Andy Griffith Show where he was going 'Crow Shooting'
Must of been a thing even in 1960.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Was just watching an episode of The Andy Griffith Show where he was going 'Crow Shooting'
Must of been a thing even in 1960.
Corvid hunting is legal. No bag limit on crows, and the bag limit on ravens is very high, but there is a limit... I can't remember if there is a season for raven hunting... I would have to look that up if I ever wanted to go that way.

The ravens have always harassed my hawks when out in the field, and my hawks largely ignore them. My hawks tend to stay fairly close to me, and that tends to keep the ravens from getting too close to them. If one of my birds takes off on a chase and dives down at some distance in heavy brush, the ravens will often circle and caw and dive at them, which helps to direct me right to them. If ever a falconer loses sight of their bird while hunting, one of the first things we look for is ravens dive bombing the bushes over yonder. Tell tale sign. Its a love/hate relationship with the big black birds.