Help creating a turtle pond in Charleston SC for local wild box turtles that visit my yard often

Darthnater

Location (City and/or State)
Charleston SC
This is my first time ever doing anything like this. I have the pond dug, it's 570 gallons or right now, I will probably enlarge it some too. There's a deeper portion in the middle that's 2 feet right now maybe make it 3, and the 9ftx7ft rest of the pond is about a foot and has some sloping beach areas. It will be heavily planted, layer of dirt and sand on top. I plan to get rocks for some areas too. It will get morning sun and shade later in the day. I will expand it a little from what's in the picture, so it has a central deep area that is 2-3 feet deep, a ring around that which is 1-2 feet deep, and another shallower portion that slopes up to a "beach" so they can rest on the bottom with their heads out.

I will have small fish, freshwater grass shrimp, local snails. I have a pump that I would like to feed into a natural bog filter inside a barrel or something but that may be a project for later, for now I may just pump the water through some filter media and up to a downhill stream. I am wondering what would be a good local turtle to introduce that will get along with the box turtles that visit my yard. Also any other suggestions on how I can improve my design or something I should add is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240819_183218.jpg
    20240819_183218.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1