Semi-Underground Russian Box

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
You wouldn't need to add so much substrate sulcatas don't "dig in" the way russians do. Sulcatas burrow. The buried box serves as "the burrow", so no need to provide them with digable substrate inside the "burrow".

You would definitely need heat in a TN winter. Not sure this would work at all for that application. I think its too cold there. You'll need a box with an insulated floor.
That's what I was figuring. But I'm thinking they would love it for a summer house. I will stick with the heated shed I'm fixing them for winter and I can just close the box up then reopen it when weather warms back up in spring. I might make the quads and the leopards one too. I'm hoping to have the quads enclosure amped up by summer so that they can stay outside all summer too. Then I can just add another for the leopards. Then if that seems to go well I will do one for the Aldabra I'm hoping to get 1st of year. I am still researching them tho. Thanks for the info!

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
TOM!!! You are Missing Something!!!! Right away, I looked for it carefully and it was no where in sight! You're missing a WATCH YOUR STEP, sign! LOL Awesome enclosure, just needs a sign. hahahah.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great job Tom. Those little Russians look so familiar LOL.

Did I tell you those were yours? Or did you just know? Your group is the most consistent. They are all pretty close to the same size, while the other three groups show more variation. All 6 are thriving and doing very well. Doing even better since I added this box.

They are all back inside now getting prepped for their first hibernation. I'm feeding them up a bunch for a couple of weeks, then I'll keep it lit and warm with daily soaks for two weeks to clean them out, then begin cooling with lights on less and less each day. Then it will be lights out around December 1st.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I were to do that, the wood would only last one season. Wood in the ground rots/gets termites very quickly, even if painted or treated.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I can only imagine the rolling eyes... "Tom is at it again..."

It gets very hot here in the summertime. Every day is near 100 and sometimes its over 110. In winter, most nights are in the 30s and occasionally we dip into the 20s. For fossorial species like sulcatas, Desert Tortoises, and in this case Russians, going underground offers an ideal escape from temperature extremes.

Sooooooo, I've been mentally designing this contraption for a long time and finally got it built and installed. Its not pretty, but the entire thing was built with recycled wood and scraps from other building projects.

Here is the hole I dug for it to drop into:
2nu6ebk.jpg

Here is the box itself. Its about 21" tall and there is welded wire closing off the bottom.
2rr5hyr.jpg

33el79g.jpg

Here I have filled the inside with the native dirt and topped it off with the coir that used to be in their inside enclosure. The bottom of the door is about 8" from the bottom of the box where the wire is, so they have plenty of room to dig in if they wish, but they can't go too far because of the wire on the bottom. I've attached the lid and done the weather stripping by this point too.
4jat8p.jpg

Here is the door/tunnel from tortoise perspective before the rain cover went on and everything is buried.
35iup9v.jpg

After burial:
x5b8js.jpg

Here is the shade/rain cover that covers the tunnel entrance to keep the rain out. This is a critical part of the whole operation for obvious reasons. When I install these things I check the level-ness of it all and make sure rain run-off will run downhill and not back into the tunnel entrance.
nlq73n.jpg

Here is the underside of it:
ne92rd.jpg

Here I have some dirt on it now:
2rhsq4i.jpg

Here is a view showing how the underground shelter sits within the rest of the enclosure:
fepcih.jpg

x3v2q1.jpg

110buhd.jpg

2q999ht.jpg

And of course we have to show the torties using the new facilities:
1231iye.jpg

24pggvs.jpg

2ds1p5g.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my little tour. Comments and questions welcome. :)
I love it. When can my Russian and I move in? XD

Boxturtle1

Tom-I I am new to the Forum and a new Russian keeper and really enjoyed your design and the pictures. I live in Zone 7, in Virginia where we have many temp variations. I think this design will allow for extending the typical full-time outside time which typically would run May 1st to October 1st.
One thought that may make it more weather proof and more rot resistant would be to use an old Cooler. Bury it like your box and use the cooler lid for checking the occupants. Cut an access hole in one end for your entrance and you could cut out or drill drain holes in the bottom. Could serve as a hibernation chamber possibly for some climates if someone were inclined to hibernate. Great idea and design you had I really like it.
Thanks! Matt

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
They are all putting themselves away at night every night now. The new shelter must be to their liking. :D
I love your set up, this is just the thing I was asking about more or less!! What are the dimensions and did you use just regular scrap 2x4s? As far as weather proofing, do I just use a special outdoor paint both inside and out?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom-I I am new to the Forum and a new Russian keeper and really enjoyed your design and the pictures. I live in Zone 7, in Virginia where we have many temp variations. I think this design will allow for extending the typical full-time outside time which typically would run May 1st to October 1st.
One thought that may make it more weather proof and more rot resistant would be to use an old Cooler. Bury it like your box and use the cooler lid for checking the occupants. Cut an access hole in one end for your entrance and you could cut out or drill drain holes in the bottom. Could serve as a hibernation chamber possibly for some climates if someone were inclined to hibernate. Great idea and design you had I really like it.
Thanks! Matt

I like your cooler idea! That would sure simplify a few things.

Still, I kind of like the idea of the bottom of the box being open to the earth. I would like to test the cooler idea side-by-side with an open bottom box like mine and see what temperature and humidity does.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love your set up, this is just the thing I was asking about more or less!! What are the dimensions and did you use just regular scrap 2x4s? As far as weather proofing, do I just use a special outdoor paint both inside and out?

For this box I used all sorts of scrap lumber that was sitting around. The main box was made from 2x12s, and the lid and tunnel portions were made with plywood, 2x4s and 2x2s.

I'd have to measure, but if I recall, this box was somewhere around 30 x 18".

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
That helps a lot, thanks! As I mentioned in a threat I recently posted today, my pair are indoors atm mainly cuz I planted some goodies for them in their enclosure about 2 months ago. That, and their old burrow was flooded.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
With the damp coir, humidity is hovering around 75%. If I didn't intentionally wet it, it would be as dry it is as outside down there, which is VERY dry here. I would think you could just leave yours dry.

The ambient above ground temp last night only dropped to 68. The recorded low inside the box was 75. Ambient highs are climbing to around 98 right now and the high in the box was only 81.

I don't have the vinyl flaps in place yet either. I want to let them get used to coming and going before I put those up. Once I do install the flaps, temps will fluctuate even less from day to night in the box.
Would the same work for box turtles? I am planning something like this for my new adult box turtles come this fall.

Although, I am debating whether or not I should completely cover the bottom with a more solid face instead of wire. The place that my animals lile to dig is where it floods no matter how many time I try to keep them from it. I figured that instead of fighting it, I will just make it there. Of course, I would have to totally weather proof the entire box as well as the tunnel entrance/exit. But what do you think, and what would you recommend?

(I keep my animals outside all year, never had a need to bring them indoors other than quarantining new animals for months)

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Thank you Tom,
This is exactly what I have been looking for. I live in Las Vegas, NV and will be making something just like this for my future Russians.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would the same work for box turtles? I am planning something like this for my new adult box turtles come this fall.

Although, I am debating whether or not I should completely cover the bottom with a more solid face instead of wire. The place that my animals lile to dig is where it floods no matter how many time I try to keep them from it. I figured that instead of fighting it, I will just make it there. Of course, I would have to totally weather proof the entire box as well as the tunnel entrance/exit. But what do you think, and what would you recommend?

(I keep my animals outside all year, never had a need to bring them indoors other than quarantining new animals for months)

I think this style of enclosure would suit any species. I've never tried it for box turtles, but they need to be able to escape temperate weather extremes too.

I would not build it in an area that floods. I'd build it uphill somewhere and teach them to use it.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
I think this style of enclosure would suit any species. I've never tried it for box turtles, but they need to be able to escape temperate weather extremes too.

I would not build it in an area that floods. I'd build it uphill somewhere and teach them to use it.
Unfortunately, the whole place I have floods even with proper drainage. Subhurb on a hill and all.

ethan508

Northern Utah
You have very good looking Russians (who are lucky to have you as a caretaker)? Where did you get them?

The little white device in the photos is a what? (guessing it is a temperature alarm, if so what brand do you like?)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have very good looking Russians (who are lucky to have you as a caretaker)? Where did you get them?

The little white device in the photos is a what? (guessing it is a temperature alarm, if so what brand do you like?)

I got them from @Carol S , @kanalomele , and a local breeder here.

The little white box is the wireless remote probe for the thermometer/hygrometer.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I can only imagine the rolling eyes... "Tom is at it again..."

It gets very hot here in the summertime. Every day is near 100 and sometimes its over 110. In winter, most nights are in the 30s and occasionally we dip into the 20s. For fossorial species like sulcatas, Desert Tortoises, and in this case Russians, going underground offers an ideal escape from temperature extremes.

Sooooooo, I've been mentally designing this contraption for a long time and finally got it built and installed. Its not pretty, but the entire thing was built with recycled wood and scraps from other building projects.

Here is the hole I dug for it to drop into:
2nu6ebk.jpg

Here is the box itself. Its about 21" tall and there is welded wire closing off the bottom.
2rr5hyr.jpg

33el79g.jpg

Here I have filled the inside with the native dirt and topped it off with the coir that used to be in their inside enclosure. The bottom of the door is about 8" from the bottom of the box where the wire is, so they have plenty of room to dig in if they wish, but they can't go too far because of the wire on the bottom. I've attached the lid and done the weather stripping by this point too.
4jat8p.jpg

Here is the door/tunnel from tortoise perspective before the rain cover went on and everything is buried.
35iup9v.jpg

After burial:
x5b8js.jpg

Here is the shade/rain cover that covers the tunnel entrance to keep the rain out. This is a critical part of the whole operation for obvious reasons. When I install these things I check the level-ness of it all and make sure rain run-off will run downhill and not back into the tunnel entrance.
nlq73n.jpg

Here is the underside of it:
ne92rd.jpg

Here I have some dirt on it now:
2rhsq4i.jpg

Here is a view showing how the underground shelter sits within the rest of the enclosure:
fepcih.jpg

x3v2q1.jpg

110buhd.jpg

2q999ht.jpg

And of course we have to show the torties using the new facilities:
1231iye.jpg

24pggvs.jpg

2ds1p5g.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my little tour. Comments and questions welcome. :)

Love this one too! Would definitely love to plagiarize this one if ever needed an underground build