Sending my Sulcata from Hawaii to Michigan

Beach_Bum

Location (City and/or State)
Kihei, Hawaii
I'm moving to Michigan from Hawaii for the summer (and then to Southern Utah). I've seen some websites that say he can be shipped overnight through (FedEx or UPS, I don't recall). I thought I would ask the forum if they knew of any good and proven solutions for this. He's about 18lbs and about 12"x18" in size. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Contact shipyourreptiles.com. They walk you through all the steps required and sell you the box, etc you'll need.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why? I'm originally from MI. family still there. Nothing much there. The upper portion and the UP is some what pretty but not much else. Now Hawaii, that's beautiful with lots to do and see. Anyway, the place Yvonne said to contact is the way to go.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm moving to Michigan from Hawaii for the summer (and then to Southern Utah). I've seen some websites that say he can be shipped overnight through (FedEx or UPS, I don't recall). I thought I would ask the forum if they knew of any good and proven solutions for this. He's about 18lbs and about 12"x18" in size. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Kihei, Maui to Salt Lake City via Michigan? Wow! I have visited Kihei a couple of times (why leave?) and have kept large sulcata tortoises while living in CO, so I have an idea what you will need to do once you get to SLC.

My immediate reaction when reading the post was to tell you to leave the tortoise in HI. It will be much happier there than in UT or MI. You will be hard put to find enough indoor space for your tortoise to be happy and comfortable for the winter months in those two states, plus feeding it through the winter will be quite costly.

That being said, the advice Yvonne gave you on shipping is good. You can also ship it on Delta Airlines which may be less costly considering the size of your tortoise. You would need to check both options to find the best price. If using Delta, the tortoise would need to be picked up at an airport. Using Ship Your Reptiles would allow its delivery to a residential (or a business) address. I have used both of these modes of transport, and each has its own pros and cons.

Personally, I would simply find the tortoise a good home in HI and leave it there. You will save yourself a lot of $$ plus headaches on the mainland. Once you get settled in SLC, you could get a smaller species which would not require as much food and space as a growing juvenile sulcata.