Separated Scute? (Desert Tortoise)

Clayrshank

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello, first time post.

Sunny, my 15 year old female desert tortoise, woke up in April very lethargic after brumation. Her Exotic Vet diagnosed her with a calcium deficiency, which was confirmed by blood work. I've kept to the diet sheet, garnished with calcium powder daily and a multivitamin once a week. Sunny's energy and appetite have strongly increased since. Sunny lives outdoors and has all the staples: direct sunlight, shade spots, water dish for grazing.

Today I noticed a slight separation on one her scutes (see photos). Any ideas if this is natural growth or a sign that another vet trip is necessary?

Much Appreciated,
Clay

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Clay:

The area you're concerned about is where new shell growth occurrs. The new growth in those areas looks dried out or maybe even burned. Do you have any sort of light or artificial heat over the tortoise? If so, raise it higher.

I suggest you paint those growth seams with extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil, allow it to soak in then wipe off the excess

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, first time post.

Sunny, my 15 year old female desert tortoise, woke up in April very lethargic after brumation. Her Exotic Vet diagnosed her with a calcium deficiency, which was confirmed by blood work. I've kept to the diet sheet, garnished with calcium powder daily and a multivitamin once a week. Sunny's energy and appetite have strongly increased since. Sunny lives outdoors and has all the staples: direct sunlight, shade spots, water dish for grazing.

Today I noticed a slight separation on one her scutes (see photos). Any ideas if this is natural growth or a sign that another vet trip is necessary?

Much Appreciated,
Clay
Great advice form Yvonne.

Read this too. There is a brumation thread and a temperate species care sheet in it.

Clayrshank

California
Thank you very much for the prompt replies. No overhead light for Sunny. I have one but have had it unplugged for awhile with the blazing summer this year. Direct sunlight is available all day so I’ve been approaching it as overkill this year.

Already put some cold pressed unrefined coconut oil on her crack areas today!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you very much for the prompt replies. No overhead light for Sunny. I have one but have had it unplugged for awhile with the blazing summer this year. Direct sunlight is available all day so I’ve been approaching it as overkill this year.

Already put some cold pressed unrefined coconut oil on her crack areas today!
Then it may be old damage from the light. Be sure to raise it before you use it again, or don't use it anymore.