Settling in...

FeebeeDeebee

Location (City and/or State)
Haworth, West Yorkshire
Couple of questions about settling my new baby Horsefield in...is it normal for them to stay hidden and how long should I expect them to do it? (He's not been out since he arrived yesterday lunchtime) and is there anything I can do to help him settle more quickly?
Many thanks

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Hello,

The behavior you describe is normal for a tortoise settling in.
You really can't do anything more than leave it alone and let it get acclimatized.
Moving = change and change=stressful for a tortoise.

It will need a lot of time to get used to you, but keep offering food and drink and it should eat within a few days.
Even if you don't see it eating keep offering it food and if it is healthy it will eat.

To rule out the behavior is something to do with your enclosure and conditions you could , like the above comment said, describe in detail your conditions.

Joey

FeebeeDeebee

Haworth, West Yorkshire
Well based on recommendations from this forum I've bought new substrate and coco coir but not put it in yet as didn't want to unsettle him further...the breeder supplied grass pellets which he has been used to and I've set his enclosure up as near to his old home as I can.
He has been out for an hour or so today, had a bask and wandered around a bit before retreating again so feeling more positive...his setup is big enough for the first year with uv and heat lamps, plenty of water, cuttlebone and food and a hidey and basking slate.
Will leave another day or two before changing the substrate and soaking him

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Change the substrate now. Those pellets are dreadful. He needs the moisture a proper substrate holds.

Uvb light & temps?