sex of hatchlings born outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar64

5 Year Member
I have 4 young leopard babies that are aprox 4-5 months old. The breeder let them hatch naturally outdoors. I'm in Arizona. Does anyone know what the aprox male or female ration might be of hatchlings born naturally ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
How many eggs were in the clutch? Whereabouts were they in the clutch... on the outside or in the middle?. What was the weather like when between when they were laid and when they hatched? I can only think it would be pure guesswork.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Mother nature wants both sexes. There is no true way to measure a ratio when they are left In Situ that I know of. Its usually a mixed bag. Although there is a theory that due to climate changes and global warming there will be more females produced overall. But that is entirely guesswork with no real means to measure for a particular clutch that has already hatched.

dar64

5 Year Member
unfortunately I don't know much other than they hatched naturally. I think there may have been at least 20 but thats a guess. He had two clutches and I picked two from each clutch.

JoesMum said:
How many eggs were in the clutch? Whereabouts were they in the clutch... on the outside or in the middle?. What was the weather like when between when they were laid and when they hatched? I can only think it would be pure guesswork.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There just isn't any way of telling with naturally incubated eggs. Even those hatched in incubators are not consistent

dar64

5 Year Member
thank you . Thats what I thought but thought I'd ask

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a way to know for sure.

Wait about five years, then post pics of their plastrons, and I'll tell you for sure what you've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.