Sex of Sulcata

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have an Exotic Pet Veterinarian in our city. Should I bring her there asap?
I wouldn't. They could do more harm than good even though they say exotic vet, doesn't mean they know tortoises
Soak her daily for a couple weeks. Have camera ready to snap a pic next time it happens.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Wow those are great! Thank you for those links!
No, not by spraying but get it wet. Not floating in water wet but wet. Also it dries out a lot slower in a closed chamber. But I believe her size is that of a sully that should be living outside. Well she's not quite at the size yet. Another couple inches. If she's not in a closed enclosure, then try to close it off, no open top.
I use digital indoor-outdoor wireless thermometers with humidity levels displayed on the base unit. Walmart carries the Acu-Rite brand. They work fine and are inexpensive.

I hope I did this right (tagging everyone) .....Just wanted to say thank you all for helping me with this. I greatly appreciate it!

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
I wouldn't. They could do more harm than good even though they say exotic vet, doesn't mean they know tortoises
Soak her daily for a couple weeks. Have camera ready to snap a pic next time it happens.

Ok, will do! Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The other thing is she doesn't really want to soak anymore. She used to like it but that was in the summer. I put her in the water and she is constantly trying to climb out... I don't know why.
When I was a kid I didn't want to eat my vegetables. Guess what my mom did. She made me eat them anyway.

Soak your tortoise. Its good for her, whether she likes it or not. When they get dehydrated, they can get constipated. When the get constipated and strain to poop, things can pop out that shouldn't. Keep the soak water warm and let the tortoise march around in that tub for 40-60 minutes. We call that the "tortoise treadmill". Its good exercise. Keeps the GI tract moving. I'd soak every day for two weeks to get her rehydrated since you've seen this issue, and then back off to three times a week or so.

When they are undersized and malformed like this, it can also cause internal problems. There is nothing a vet can do for any of this. These are husbandry issues.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please clarify. I suggested her to live outside. But she's not over 10 inches. I remember before you suggesting like 11 or 12 inches before moving outside?
I honestly though can't remember if that was for Sulcatas or leopards.
Generally speaking, the longer they can be kept indoors, the less of an issue the pyramiding will be. They just do better indoors, up to a point. A sulcata nearing 10 inches is very restless and they knock around their enclosures like no other species. In a warm humid climate like Louisiana, I'd be inclined to get the tortoise outside sooner, for longer and more often than I would in a dry climate like Southern CA. There is also less effect on them when moving them outside full time in a humid climate when compared to dry climates.

Another factor for this tortoise is the apparent MBD. It needs to be outside getting UV. The size is close enough. And at 5 years old, even though it is undersized, its time to get it outside. All things considered, I think this particular tortoise will fare better outside compared to what it had inside.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Generally speaking, the longer they can be kept indoors, the less of an issue the pyramiding will be. They just do better indoors, up to a point. A sulcata nearing 10 inches is very restless and they knock around their enclosures like no other species. In a warm humid climate like Louisiana, I'd be inclined to get the tortoise outside sooner, for longer and more often than I would in a dry climate like Southern CA. There is also less effect on them when moving them outside full time in a humid climate when compared to dry climates.

Another factor for this tortoise is the apparent MBD. It needs to be outside getting UV. The size is close enough. And at 5 years old, even though it is undersized, its time to get it outside. All things considered, I think this particular tortoise will fare better outside compared to what it had inside.
Thank you. Makes perfect sense.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I keep sulcatas in the Northern Neck of Virginia. They live outside and have heated houses. During the colder months the humidity in each house is very low. Right now the humidity in
each house is reading from 20 to 23%. What I do to counter act the low humidity is feed a varied diet of wet food items. Here is what I fixed for the 3 younger ones a couple days ago. KIMG3120.JPGIt consist of rehydrated grass and weeds from last spring and summer, wet mazuri, opuntia, cucumber, and cactus fruit. They all get something similar to this early everyday. They are growing fine with this diet. No pyramiding and nice stools without soaking and high humid conditions. This is their first daily feeding not the last.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
When I was a kid I didn't want to eat my vegetables. Guess what my mom did. She made me eat them anyway.

Soak your tortoise. Its good for her, whether she likes it or not. When they get dehydrated, they can get constipated. When the get constipated and strain to poop, things can pop out that shouldn't. Keep the soak water warm and let the tortoise march around in that tub for 40-60 minutes. We call that the "tortoise treadmill". Its good exercise. Keeps the GI tract moving. I'd soak every day for two weeks to get her rehydrated since you've seen this issue, and then back off to three times a week or so.

When they are undersized and malformed like this, it can also cause internal problems. There is nothing a vet can do for any of this. These are husbandry issues.
Well said! Yeah she may like it better in a bigger tub (tortoise treadmill) 😆 . Ok I will start tomorrow morning. My goodness and again thank you sooooo much!!! Will update any changes!

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
I keep sulcatas in the Northern Neck of Virginia. They live outside and have heated houses. During the colder months the humidity in each house is very low. Right now the humidity in
each house is reading from 20 to 23%. What I do to counter act the low humidity is feed a varied diet of wet food items. Here is what I fixed for the 3 younger ones a couple days ago. View attachment 367177It consist of rehydrated grass and weeds from last spring and summer, wet mazuri, opuntia, cucumber, and cactus fruit. They all get something similar to this early everyday. They are growing fine with this diet. No pyramiding and nice stools without soaking and high humid conditions. This is their first daily feeding not the last.

I was wondering about the weeds, flowers and grasses...saving them and rehydrating. That's a great idea! Yeah that food looks yummy 😋
I've never heard of opuntia. Will have to look that one up. All of this is great information thank you so much!

Pinky will have her first spa day tomorrow with extra extra tlc. 💕

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA

I knew this nasty humidity here would serve it's purpose one day

Len B

10 Year Member!
I was wondering about the weeds, flowers and grasses...saving them and rehydrating. That's a great idea! Yeah that food looks yummy 😋
I've never heard of opuntia. Will have to look that one up. All of this is great information thank you so much!

Pinky will have her first spa day tomorrow with extra extra tlc. 💕
It's a type of cactus, there are many different varieties. Here's the 2 pads I cut for them that day KIMG3113.JPG

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Have you tried getting a pad you buy to root outside?

No, I didn't know I could root them like that! I'm about to go shopping for her. Was going to get some ornamental grass, shrubs.....whatever I can find that will go in her area outside. I will look for the pads like you have. If I can't find them I will just order them online. We are tilling up the old grass, removing it and going to plant grass that she will eat. It's beautiful outside today. She's been out for about 3 hours today after her exercise (Tortoise Treadmill)! lol

Len B

10 Year Member!
A
No, I didn't know I could root them like that! I'm about to go shopping for her. Was going to get some ornamental grass, shrubs.....whatever I can find that will go in her area outside. I will look for the pads like you have. If I can't find them I will just order them online. We are tilling up the old grass, removing it and going to plant grass that she will eat. It's beautiful outside today. She's been out for about 3 hours today after her exercise (Tortoise Treadmill)! lol

As you travel around look for someone growing cactus. That's how I got so many different kinds. The pads in the picture came from a Bank in LaPlata Maryland. I just went inside and asked if I could have a few pads. I've never been told no when asking. I planted the pads and now I have plenty of that kind.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
A

As you travel around look for someone growing cactus. That's how I got so many different kinds. The pads in the picture came from a Bank in LaPlata Maryland. I just went inside and asked if I could have a few pads. I've never been told no when asking. I planted the pads and now I have plenty of that kind.
Oh wow that's crazy! Ha I'm going to go forage for my baby girl! So they grow pretty good?