Share your red foot pictures!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
@Pearly That is indeed Ms. Ruby. She is our smallest (about 1.5lb) and strangely enough the first redfoot we took in.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
@Pearly That is indeed Ms. Ruby. She is our smallest (about 1.5lb) and strangely enough the first redfoot we took in.
I think I remember those days, or, maybe you had Vern too when I joined in last year?... Not sure, but I remember latching onto your posts bcs Ruby was so much like my Shellie, close in size, and still is, Shellie weighs around 1.5 lbs too and is 6.5 inches at 14 months old.
Ruby is very pretty!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Craig that little baby maybe growing some lighter colors. My Tucker's first growth rings were light grayish like that too. I remember not being happy about that:)
We will see, there's still not one colored scale on it, I think it will end up grey not black.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Mine looked like he was dirty for a while
The mother of this baby is very dark, hardly any color.
This baby has very dark skin with zero colored scales. She is clean, no dirt on her at all. We will see what happens. It's all interesting stuff whatever happens.
It's very outgoing, I don't have the enclosure lit up like a tanning booth, both these babies come out all the time. The bigger one knows I'm food god now, soon as it sees us it comes over from the hides. I thought that the new one would feel intimidated but they both feed together, so hopefully no bullying is going on.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Mine looked like he was dirty for a while
Totally different subject, but that's me. Lol.

My big old cherryhead (pushing 13" SCL) has new growth at scute boarders, that was a shock when I saw it yesterday. Whether that just means her carapace is getting thicker and not actually growing in length I don't know. I'll have to measure her accurately and see what happens over time.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Totally different subject, but that's me. Lol.

My big old cherryhead (pushing 13" SCL) has new growth at scute boarders, that was a shock when I saw it yesterday. Whether that just means her carapace is getting thicker and not actually growing in length I don't know. I'll have to measure her accurately and see what happens over time.
Cherryhead at 13"????? I thought they were supposed to be the smaller ones

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That's what I'm saying, I think cdmay, N2torts and Alegra also have some big Brazilians (cherryheads) too.

MelissaDawn85

It's supposedly a 3 year old boy.... I have only had him since March! I am new to the tort world, and am loving it!! I don't have all the fancy plants as you guys all do, since I don't have much of a growth season here...but we love veggies fruits and kale!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
@MelissaDawn85 He's just a lil guy, huh? Hopefully you're keeping him humid so he doesn't grow up to look like a pinecone like my big male.

Where are you at with the short season? i thought I was one of the few crazy people who keep reds in cool climates.

MelissaDawn85

I am from Alberta Canada, and yourself?? I only know of one other girl who has a tort here and she has 3!!
He's very tiny still, but since March it's unbelievable how fast he has grown, I bought him from a young young girl who I don't really know what to properly do with him!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

Pearly

5 Year Member
I am from Alberta Canada, and yourself?? I only know of one other girl who has a tort here and she has 3!!
He's very tiny still, but since March it's unbelievable how fast he has grown, I bought him from a young young girl who I don't really know what to properly do with him!
Hey Melissa, he looks VERY small for 3 yrs... I might be wrong bcs I've only had mi RFs since June of last year. I got mine as tiny hatchlings, they couldn't have been more than couple weeks old, and now my small one (the slow grower, picky eater who gave me so much trouble with refusing to eat the first few weeks and needs to be watched to this day)is exceeding 1 lb and my good eater, bigger one is way over 1.5 lbs. I can still pick her up with one hand but use both bcs if she wiggles I could easily drop her. She's just too big for my hands.
I am glad you got that poor thing out of that place he was not properly cared for. He is very pretty and once you fix his habitat to provide heat and high humidity, good diet he will start growing smoothly and those pyramids won't be as visible.
Soak him every day and FEED, feed feed and feed! Twice, 3x day! If you can. If he is a good eater he will start catching up soon. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474034364.510210.jpg this is what I do for mine. Chop everything up, they eat a lot more that way. I started doing this to help my non-eater, he was having huge issues getting his nutrition in. I still do it bcs he eats a lot more and a lot better variety than if I had just put down larger pieces. Some people may roll their eyes, but I don't mind doing it and find comfort knowing that he gets what his little body need.
I still feed mine 2x day and at least at breakfast, sit and watch them eat so I know exactly what, who and how much, what they like. This comes very handy when you try to introduce new foods, you can always mix in stuff that you know they love. Anyway,FEED, soak, keep very humid and don't let his temps drop below 80F and keep us posted. I think will soon start seeing pics of smooth growing beautiful little RF from Alberta:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474034835.914842.jpg another "food picture", cactus, collard, dandelion greens and escarole all chopped, mango and bit of red bell pepper
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474034928.557703.jpgexample of breakfast. Mazuri on both sides of food pile. I alternate Mazuri with few other kinds of forest tort pellets. They get little pelleted food just at breakfast, different brand every day of the week. I do this to fill in the nutrition gaps if they are to lack any vitamin or trace elements etcImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474035132.647866.jpg example of food pile before the pellets go in. The size of the pile is about the size of their carapace and there is always little food left over. If the ate every bit of it, I'd assume they were still hungry and would increase the quantity. Also I don't believe there's such thing as overfeeding a tortoise. Especially a growing youngster! And especially one that has a LOT of catching up to do. This poor baby looks stunted to me, or... he is definitely not 3 yrs old! By the size I'd say not even 1 year

Pearly

5 Year Member
Hey Melissa, he looks VERY small for 3 yrs... I might be wrong bcs I've only had mi RFs since June of last year. I got mine as tiny hatchlings, they couldn't have been more than couple weeks old, and now my small one (the slow grower, picky eater who gave me so much trouble with refusing to eat the first few weeks and needs to be watched to this day)is exceeding 1 lb and my good eater, bigger one is way over 1.5 lbs. I can still pick her up with one hand but use both bcs if she wiggles I could easily drop her. She's just too big for my hands.
I am glad you got that poor thing out of that place he was not properly cared for. He is very pretty and once you fix his habitat to provide heat and high humidity, good diet he will start growing smoothly and those pyramids won't be as visible.
Soak him every day and FEED, feed feed and feed! Twice, 3x day! If you can. If he is a good eater he will start catching up soon. View attachment 187066 this is what I do for mine. Chop everything up, they eat a lot more that way. I started doing this to help my non-eater, he was having huge issues getting his nutrition in. I still do it bcs he eats a lot more and a lot better variety than if I had just put down larger pieces. Some people may roll their eyes, but I don't mind doing it and find comfort knowing that he gets what his little body need.
I still feed mine 2x day and at least at breakfast, sit and watch them eat so I know exactly what, who and how much, what they like. This comes very handy when you try to introduce new foods, you can always mix in stuff that you know they love. Anyway,FEED, soak, keep very humid and don't let his temps drop below 80F and keep us posted. I think will soon start seeing pics of smooth growing beautiful little RF from Alberta:)
View attachment 187067 another "food picture", cactus, collard, dandelion greens and escarole all chopped, mango and bit of red bell pepper
View attachment 187068example of breakfast. Mazuri on both sides of food pile. I alternate Mazuri with few other kinds of forest tort pellets. They get little pelleted food just at breakfast, different brand every day of the week. I do this to fill in the nutrition gaps if they are to lack any vitamin or trace elements etcView attachment 187069 example of food pile before the pellets go in. The size of the pile is about the size of their carapace and there is always little food left over. If the ate every bit of it, I'd assume they were still hungry and would increase the quantity. Also I don't believe there's such thing as overfeeding a tortoise. Especially a growing youngster! And especially one that has a LOT of catching up to do. This poor baby looks stunted to me, or... he is definitely not 3 yrs old! By the size I'd say not even 1 year
What the heck happened here???!!! This was in different thread! Nope! Having a senile moment here!!!! Sorry