Sheldon bladder stones update

Gem_2022

Location (City and/or State)
Chester
My tortoise has multiple stones but the biggest stone wont fit past his pelvis. He is just over 5 months old and we have an option to operate, put him to sleep or send the stones off for testing but not sure how that will help us. Any advice is so much appreciated i want to save my boy! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Gem_2022

Chester
@Maggie3fan has experience with stones. I do not.
What has your vet reccomend?
That's a very young tortoise to have serious stone issues. Is the diet correct?
Hiya, went to the vets today and they took an xray which showed 2 lumps which he thinks are bladder stones. He does believe my boy was born with them but has managed to pass one of them but obviously the other is much bigger. Unsure of what it is and the vet gave us those options

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you give us more information about the tortoise? Species, diet, temperatures in enclosure and a few photos?

Gem_2022

Chester
Can you give us more information about the tortoise? Species, diet, temperatures in enclosure and a few photos?
Hes a 5 month old horsefield tortoise. Temperature around 28-32 degrees. Diet cucumber, lamb’s lettuce, dandelions and tomatoes. Hes in a large tortoise table.

Attachments

• C5A37E39-05FC-4705-A0A5-064AC9E16BEA.jpeg
    C5A37E39-05FC-4705-A0A5-064AC9E16BEA.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 7
  • ED5C64EA-C5D5-4481-8263-22E59B92AA43.jpeg
    ED5C64EA-C5D5-4481-8263-22E59B92AA43.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

COmtnLady

Colorado
Is there a vet who can break the stone apart with ultra sound? Maybe the university in your area that teaches veterinary medicine could help?

Gem_2022

Chester
Is there a vet who can break the stone apart with ultra sound? Maybe the university in your area that teaches veterinary medicine could help?
The chances of him surviving the operation is slim because of how young he is and their is more than 1 stone

COmtnLady

Colorado
The chances of him surviving the operation is slim because of how young he is and their is more than 1 stone
When they use ultra sound to break the stones apart there is no operation involved. It is a procedure, they have to be the ones who do it, but there isn't any cutting involved.

At some point there is the cross over point between not doing something and doing what can be done, or the patient will die.

Have you been soaking your tortoise in warm water a couple times per day every day?

The people asking you about diet are on the right track, but this blockage needs the most attention at the moment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the stone is right at the end there already at the exit point, then why hasn't ultra sound been mentioned to break up the stone? Or any other type they use besides surgery to break it up.
Even surgery at the tail wouldn't be too invasive.
That's what you need to do. Find a vet that can do that.
@Yvonne G is there any other way by home remedies?

Last edited:

Gem_2022

Chester
When they use ultra sound to break the stones apart there is no operation involved. It is a procedure, they have to be the ones who do it, but there isn't any cutting involved.

At some point there is the cross over point between not doing something and doing what can be done, or the patient will die.

Have you been soaking your tortoise in warm water a couple times per day every day?

The people asking you about diet are on the right track, but this blockage needs the most attention at the moment.
Yes i soak him every day in warm water. The vet thinks he was born with these tones as he is too young for them to of developed this quickly

COmtnLady

Colorado
Check around for a reptile vet with the specialty of breaking up stones with ultra sound. It basically vibrates the stones into shattering to passable sized pieces just with little blasts of focused sound (that you can't really hear). It takes special equipment and know-how, otherwise they can damage bones and organs. Check with the University close to you that is known for veterinary teaching. They should have the necessary equipment. They would be my first choice unless I had a lot of recommendations and confidence that a particular vet knew tortoises - there is so much bad info out there that even "good" veterinarians don't always know what's good for a tortoise. I trust the experts here at Tortoise Forum over 95% of the vets out there.

Move on this as fast as you can.
First, your little guy doesn't have much time.
Second, the longer he spends being in pain and backed up, the less chance there is for a good outcome.
Third, with impactions this big, IF he manages to live through it, it can deform his body in ways that will make him sickly or messed up for the rest of his life.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sorry I'm not Yvonne or Tom and I certainly am not a Vet, but in an emergency situation, personally...if that is a stone right there at his cloaca, I'd get a syringe, remove the needle, load the syringe w/mineral oil and if you can... just add the oil into the cloaca, massage the cloaca very gently,no pressure, add a bit ,more oil, massage it. A more modern Veterinarian will cut a hole in the plastron just over the stone and remove it. I'd be for calling every teaching university within driving distance while oiling and massaging that stone ever so gently...but if you are not confident in this situation then don't...and do not use baby oil...mineral oil is what you want

Gem_2022

Chester
If the stone is right at the end there already at the exit point, then why hasn't ultra sound been mentioned to break up the stone? Or any other type they use besides surgery to break it up.
Even surgery at the tail wouldn't be too invasive.
That's what you need to do. Find a vet that can do that.
@Yvonne G is there any other way by home remedies?
Its in the centre not at the end of his tail because his pelvis is to small so the stone wont fit past it

Gem_2022

Chester
Check around for a reptile vet with the specialty of breaking up stones with ultra sound. It basically vibrates the stones into shattering to passable sized pieces just with little blasts of focused sound (that you can't really hear). It takes special equipment and know-how, otherwise they can damage bones and organs. Check with the University close to you that is known for veterinary teaching. They should have the necessary equipment. They would be my first choice unless I had a lot of recommendations and confidence that a particular vet knew tortoises - there is so much bad info out there that even "good" veterinarians don't always know what's good for a tortoise. I trust the experts here at Tortoise Forum over 95% of the vets out there.

Move on this as fast as you can.
First, your little guy doesn't have much time.
Second, the longer he spends being in pain and backed up, the less chance there is for a good outcome.
Third, with impactions this big, IF he manages to live through it, it can deform his body in ways that will make him sickly or messed up for the rest of his life.
Thanks for your help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There IS another option - the vet can insert some sort of tool into the cloaca and break up the stone, picking out the now smaller pieces. They do this all the time.

Gem_2022

Chester
There IS another option - the vet can insert some sort of tool into the cloaca and break up the stone, picking out the now smaller pieces. They do this all the time.
Do you know what that procedure is called? Thank you 🙏🏻🙏🏻