Sheldon's new and improved enclosure

Shortyalex16

Location (City and/or State)
VICTORVILLE, CA
20181104_210655.jpgSo grateful for everyone's advice and help on here. I have a shallow container. I basically put 4 pillars on the corners and secured them. I then put the shower curtain on top and taped the bottoms to keep humidity in .i left a flap loose so I can tie it shut and untie it when I need to get Sheldon out of his enclosure. After that I put the lid on top that I had drilled holes in for his lamps .I lined it with foil tape and regular foil so it doesn't melt the plastic. And there you have it. I hope this will be better and more functional than the previous version. I don't have much money as I am disabled so I had to work with what I have at home. Feedback would be much appreciated along with ways I can improve it. Thank you for viewing! :)

Last edited:

Shortyalex16

VICTORVILLE, CA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of the instructions that come with lights tell to mount them so they hang about 12" from the top of the tortoise's shell. It looks like your distance is more than 12"????

I would put some sight barriers in there. . . fake plants, a big rock, anything to break up that wide open look. These things also make the baby feel safer as he's not so out in the open. I like to use aquarium plants with weighted bases. I stick the base way down into the substrate.

Have you measured the temperature all over the bottom of the whole space?

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty good little closed chamber. It will be interesting to see how quickly the little guy outgrows the space.

Shortyalex16

VICTORVILLE, CA
Most of the instructions that come with lights tell to mount them so they hang about 12" from the top of the tortoise's shell. It looks like your distance is more than 12"????

I would put some sight barriers in there. . . fake plants, a big rock, anything to break up that wide open look. These things also make the baby feel safer as he's not so out in the open. I like to use aquarium plants with weighted bases. I stick the base way down into the substrate.

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty good little closed chamber. It will be interesting to see how quickly the little guy outgrows the space.
Thank you .Yes it's more than 12" but the temp at night has been a steady 80. I made this last night so I will check again after I turn his heat lamp on. If it is not warm enough I will have to buy a higher wattage bulb .

I was thinking of planting some grasses in there for him to munch on and was definitely going to redecorate lol :p

Emily Contreras

Arizona

fake plants dont work for me lol.. When I put some in saturns cage, he ate an entire leaf and I had to take him to the vet. LUCKILY he was fine.. But maybe I just have a hangry tortoise..

Shortyalex16

VICTORVILLE, CA
fake plants dont work for me lol.. When I put some in saturns cage, he ate an entire leaf and I had to take him to the vet. LUCKILY he was fine.. But maybe I just have a hangry tortoise..

I'm planning on growing some chia and other grasses in there. I'm afraid of fake plants :eek: