Shell changes

lauradre

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hey everyone!
My yellow foot (Dez) is being treated for soft shell right now. We’re aware of his scutes being indented, he was given to me that way. Recently i’ve noticed that his suture lines on the bottom of his shell are getting raised too. Is this something that is normal with growth or is he getting worse?
He just sat in his food so he has calcium on his belly

6A9D3B8F-8C56-45B2-8448-2179698DFC5C.jpeg6B4F6B10-AFD9-4613-8DBB-27AAAE85C341.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey everyone!
My yellow foot (Dez) is being treated for soft shell right now. We’re aware of his scutes being indented, he was given to me that way. Recently i’ve noticed that his suture lines on the bottom of his shell are getting raised too. Is this something that is normal with growth or is he getting worse?
He just sat in his food so he has calcium on his belly
The tortoise looks dehydrated which may be part of the reason the suture lines are becoming raised. Are you soaking it daily for about 20-30 minutes? If not, I would recommend doing so.

lauradre

Ontario
The tortoise looks dehydrated which may be part of the reason the suture lines are becoming raised. Are you soaking it daily for about 20-30 minutes? If not, I would recommend doing so.
He gets a 10-20 min bath every day in warm water. I try to keep him in for longer but when the water cools off he doesn’t want to be in it anymore.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
use a soaking bowl that fits inside the enclosure. Set it back inside right next to where the light hits the floor. It stays warm longer that way