The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Willow_sulcata

Manchester uk
The picture was taken on the side where there is dry filings , but majority is damp soil which I spray around 5 times a day , humidity is 65-70% which I'm struggling on getting higher

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's always a struggle if you have an open top. Once you close it off and make ALL the substrate moist it gets better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whichever works, although plastic probably would be better.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If you use wood and it is not painted - it will develop mold if you get the humidity up where it needs to be. Plastic best if you have a choice. If you paint wood, I always use a non-toxic epoxy style paint.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dumb question, but what do we do with the lamps if using a closed off enclosure? Mine currently sit on the top of the netting

Not to be argumentative, but I don't find your question dumb at all.

Closed chambers work best when all the heating and lighting equipment is contained inside the enclosure with the tortoise. Closing the top and having the lights outside is better than a wide open top, but its still creates a chimney effect and you are still losing a large percentage of the heat generated into the room.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Closed chambers work best when all the heating and lighting equipment is contained inside the enclosure with the tortoise.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453019614.917488.jpg Here you can see on the right side a CHE controlled by a thermostat and the left side a MVB controlled by a timer. All mounted inside the box.