Shell check!

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
The shell looks fine to me, but I'm no expert. I can't tell how long the beak is though as I cannot see the mouth line. Still, you do have a cutie.

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
The shell looks really nice, very smooth even growth! I noticed a small depigmentation on one of the plates (on her right side, third one counting from the head) but it is difficult to tell if it is anything that could be potentially causing a problem as I can't really see it clearly here. I remember one of my torts having similar issues on her carapace a long time ago and these white marks just disappeared after summer in the sun in the outdoor pen. Just like Aunt Caffy I must admit that she's a real cutie.

The shell looks really nice, very smooth even growth! I noticed a small depigmentation on one of the plates (on her right side, third one counting from the head) but it is difficult to tell if it is anything that could be potentially causing a problem as I can't really see it clearly here. I remember one of my torts having similar issues on her carapace a long time ago and these white marks just disappeared after summer in the sun in the outdoor pen. Just like Aunt Caffy I must admit that she's a real cutie.

She's had that ever since I got her. So can I do any thing to help it and her?

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
Russiantortoisegirl - I actually don't think there's anything that needs to be done:). This may be some old carapace injury - when torts are little their shell is soft and prone to scratches and injuries. She might have had it since she was little. Of course russians too do get fungal infections of the carapace but in the case of your tort this seems very unlikely (even though the picture is quite blurry) because apart from this little milky spot she looks just perfect. Just watch her to make sure it does not develop. Also watch humidity in her enclosure and if you have the possibility let her stay in the sun as much as possible during summer months. All the best to you both;)

Russiantortoisegirl - I actually don't think there's anything that needs to be done:). This may be some old carapace injury - when torts are little their shell is soft and prone to scratches and injuries. She might have had it since she was little. Of course russians too do get fungal infections of the carapace but in the case of your tort this seems very unlikely (even though the picture is quite blurry) because apart from this little milky spot she looks just perfect. Just watch her to make sure it does not develop. Also watch humidity in her enclosure and if you have the possibility let her stay in the sun as much as possible during summer months. All the best to you both;)

Thank you!