shell check

tortex

Location (City and/or State)
London
hello just wanted to ask if my little guy's shell is looking ok? im not sure if the slight dips between his scutes are just normal shape or possibly early sign of pyramiding. he's about 2. thank you.

Attachments

• 20240813_134616.jpg
    20240813_134616.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
hello just wanted to ask if my little guy's shell is looking ok? im not sure if the slight dips between his scutes are just normal shape or possibly early sign of pyramiding. he's about 2. thank you.
The tortoise is becoming pyramided. It has not become too severe yet, but unless the tortoise is given the correct care soon, it will only get worse over time.

You need to raise it in a closed chamber and be sure that proper UV lighting is provided. There are many threads on this site which will give you the correct care information for your tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The slight dips is pyramiding. Proper lights and humidity will help to stop that. It's not a thing you want but is mostly cosmetic.
A closed chamber is needed for hatchings up to about 3 years.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
As mentioned it's pyramiding that you are seeing. To dry of air, thats why you need a closed chamber is to increase humidity.

tortex

London
thank you very much for the quick replies, i'm glad i checked & asked. humidity is the likely problem i will look into it right away.