Shell help

Jonathanmatthews

Location (City and/or State)
Chester
Hi everyone. I am new to here so I apologise if what in asking already has a thread. My Frank, a 5 year old Greek, has like a shell tag right by his neck that looks like when he's trying to escape his box when I'm not home is catching his neck. I've looked up shells on Google and this little tag doesn't seem to appear on other torts. I'm worried I'm doing something wrong or if he needs it looking at by a vet. Can anyone advise?

Attachments

• 20220307_083857.jpg
    20220307_083857.jpg
    994.8 KB · Views: 15

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone. I am new to here so I apologise if what in asking already has a thread. My Frank, a 5 year old Greek, has like a shell tag right by his neck that looks like when he's trying to escape his box when I'm not home is catching his neck. I've looked up shells on Google and this little tag doesn't seem to appear on other torts. I'm worried I'm doing something wrong or if he needs it looking at by a vet. Can anyone advise?
The small, narrow scute in the midline right above the neck is called a nuchal scute. Sometimes the front edges are a bit sharp. You could use an emery board or a jeweler's file to gently smooth it down a little which might help keep it from rubbing or catching on the tortoise's skin as much.

Jonathanmatthews

Chester
The small, narrow scute in the midline right above the neck is called a nuchal scute. Sometimes the front edges are a bit sharp. You could use an emery board or a jeweler's file to gently smooth it down a little which might help keep it from rubbing or catching on the tortoise's skin as much.
Thank you. I had wandered if it could be filed but would be scared of hurting him

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you. I had wandered if it could be filed but would be scared of hurting him
It is just like a fingernail. It won't hurt the tortoise unless you file off about 6-7 mm or more and get down to the bone underneath. All you need to do is take off about 1/2 of a mm. to make it less sharp.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, and by the way, I THINK Frank is a Russian. A full picture of him will let us be sure.

Jonathanmatthews

Chester
I was told he was a Greek but some pictures I questioned this. He's only been with me since July. What do you think? He's currently in his colder hide sleeping.

Attachments

• 20220307_175508.jpg
    20220307_175508.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup, that's a russian, Testudo horsefieldii