Shell marks

LucyB87

image.jpg Hello everyone,
I've been a Tort mum to Franklin, a 1 yr old horsfield and I love him to bits. Recently I've noticed some wee White dry looking marks on his shell. I've attatched a pictute that shows what I'm talking about. He's been to the vet when I got him and she said nothing about it but I'm looking for some reassurance.
He lives in a tort table with a 100wt MVB that is on 12 hrs a day. He happily basks and gets plenty calcium as its added to his food. He's soaked everyday.
I'd really appreciate any advice!

Lucy and Franklin x

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lucy:

I don't think those are anything to worry about. I think (notice the word "THINK") it might just be little abrasions. However, I DO notice that the shell is starting to grow bumpy a bit. Does Franklin have any moisture in his environment? In the wild they dig down into the earth where it's a little humid, and this helps their shells to grow smoothly.

LucyB87

Hi Yvonne,
Thanks for your reply. I do hope it is just wee abrasions but I'll keep an eye. Unfortunately, he had bumps on his shell when I got him so I have been trying to fix that as much as I can: MVB and plenty calci dust. He has a vitamin dust twice a week.
He has his water bowl and I spray his substrate twice a week but he also has his wee log 'house' that never gets wet (unless he wee's in there and I move it straight away)

Lucy :)