Shell Questions with Pics

Sggatsmit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Got this little guy, a Western Hermann’s tortoise, and I have some questions about whether his shell is healthy or not. I’m a one-time tortoise owner so I’m not experienced in knowing what problems look like, but I don’t think I see any pyramiding. However, I’m concerned about two things: 1) the ridges along his scutes and 2) the crack/separation/line between his costal and marginal scutes, which is only present on one side of his body (see second pic). Can anyone tell me if these are concerning or if they are normal, and whether you notice anything else? Also, can anyone recommend a vet in or near southern Indiana (located in Columbus, halfway between Indianapolis and Louisville).IMG_4401.jpegIMG_4400.jpeg

EricW

Houston, TX
Welcome! This tortoise is displaying characteristics of not being kept properly. It does have some pyramiding, overgrown beak, and I will let others comment on the crack. You will need to get this tortoise properly kept and conditions will improve. I am sure others will chime in, but please read the following:

Sggatsmit

5 Year Member
USA
Welcome! This tortoise is displaying characteristics of not being kept properly. It does have some pyramiding, overgrown beak, and I will let others comment on the crack. You will need to get this tortoise properly kept and conditions will improve. I am sure others will chime in, but please read the following:

Thank you! I see some things in here I’ve come across and some I hadn’t, so this is helpful. Hopefully can get the little guy on the right track!

EricW

Houston, TX
Please come back and ask more questions after you have digested the link and able to get him on the right track husbandry wise. The beak will improve and the new growth on the shell will be great when brought into the correct care. Good luck with him.

Also, can you get a pick of the plastron (belly) of the tortoise and a picture from the rear? You may have an eastern and not a western. These pictures will help to identify.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Got this little guy, a Western Hermann’s tortoise, and I have some questions about whether his shell is healthy or not. I’m a one-time tortoise owner so I’m not experienced in knowing what problems look like, but I don’t think I see any pyramiding. However, I’m concerned about two things: 1) the ridges along his scutes and 2) the crack/separation/line between his costal and marginal scutes, which is only present on one side of his body (see second pic). Can anyone tell me if these are concerning or if they are normal, and whether you notice anything else? Also, can anyone recommend a vet in or near southern Indiana (located in Columbus, halfway between Indianapolis and Louisville).View attachment 357204View attachment 357205
The top picture shows a profile outline which indicates very possible MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). Is the tortoise able to get up on all four legs and walk around normally or does it tend to pull itself along using just the front legs?

You are doing well by coming here for information. You can search for a good reptile vet yourself by going on this site: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Just enter your town, state, and zip code plus the number of miles you are willing to drive to see the vet. Hint, it may be necessary to go a fairly good distance depending on your location. Anther option would be to go to a veterinary school with an exotics department if there is one near you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The shell areas you're concerned about are new growth areas that are too dry. Your light may be the culprit. What type light are you using?

Sggatsmit

5 Year Member
USA
It’s a 100w mercury vapor bulb and the basking spot is at 90 degrees. Dryness overall makes sense. The setup he is in is a nice tortoise table, but the substrate (seems to be a mix of soil, sand, and maybe peat moss?) is rock hard and totally dry so I’m guessing maybe there’s not been much attention to humidity. Based on the care sheet posted above, it does sound like a different light setup might be a good idea. Open to suggestions and thanks so much for commenting!

Sggatsmit

5 Year Member
USA
The shell areas you're concerned about are new growth areas that are too dry. Your light may be the culprit. What type light are you using?
The top picture shows a profile outline which indicates very possible MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). Is the tortoise able to get up on all four legs and walk around normally or does it tend to pull itself along using just the front legs?

You are doing well by coming here for information. You can search for a good reptile vet yourself by going on this site: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Just enter your town, state, and zip code plus the number of miles you are willing to drive to see the vet. Hint, it may be necessary to go a fairly good distance depending on your location. Anther option would be to go to a veterinary school with an exotics department if there is one near you.
Oh no! Obviously that’s my worst fear for him. I’ll move vet visit up the priority list and thanks for the link. I can say he doesn’t show any problems to my untrained eye with walking. Gets up quickly on all fours, moves all of them evenly, and is surprisingly fast.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have recently discovered that the MVB are too dessicating, and it's better to use a different type of UVB light.