Shell rash?

Gusy

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
96928FC7-245E-40B1-8A8A-D954AD7887E7.pngWhat is going on here with the top of her shell. Could it be caused by going in and out of her enclosure. The only thing that she could be rubbing it on is a thin piece of tarpaper that is acting as a flap for a door. What could be done to clear it up. Thanks

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Part of your problem is an overhead light that is drying out her carapace...it looks sort of crumbly on top...we'll get out personal expert...@Yvonne

Gusy

Florida
Part of your problem is an overhead light that is drying out her carapace...it looks sort of crumbly on top...we'll get out personal expert...@Yvonne
That’s a thought. The only time I had a ceramic heat element on was last winter. Has not been on since. Maybe the damage was done back then and it’s just now showing up. Anything I can do or just let it run it’s coarse. I’m going to change the flap door on her enclosed to something softer so it doesn’t rub those spots in an out every day. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I think Maggie is correct. The top of the shell was burned by having the CHE too close to it. Large sulcatas like yours shouldn't have overhead heat like a harsh light or CHE. Some of the folks here use those oil-filled radiator type electric heaters in the shelters, along with a pig blanket.

Gusy

Florida
Yeah, I think Maggie is correct. The top of the shell was burned by having the CHE too close to it. Large sulcatas like yours shouldn't have overhead heat like a harsh light or CHE. Some of the folks here use those oil-filled radiator type electric heaters in the shelters, along with a pig blanket.
I will look into another option for heating, we only get 10 nights or so that get cold/cool in south east Florida.