Shell Rot Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear929

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I previously posted a picture of my russian Tequila Sunrise. I thank everyone for letting me know she previously had shell rot. When I was soaking her tonight, I noticed she had two small red spots on her plastron. Her shell is hard there, though. I tried to take the best picture I could, as I did not want her on her back very long and circled the areas of concern in the Paint Progam. Any help would be appreciated. I also found this article from Melissa Kaplan (I may have bought a book from her a long time ago?) on how to help heal shell rot, if Tequila still has it. http://www.anapsid.org/shellrot.html
rot.jpg

Help is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
The 3 reddish spot are or were shell rot. Not sure about the whiteish spot. That could be something stuck there or it could be fungal shell rot.
Very good advice with the shell rot article. The few things I do differently are using a sharp knife or single edge razor blade to take off the dead scute material over the dead bone. You can more easily see whats going on than and it's not as traumatic as scraping with a blunt knife. If the dead bone is loose I will take it off as that is an indacation that it is healed underneath. If it's not loose I will use a triple antibiotic ointment on the dead bone to keep any bacteria from flourishing.
Usually once you have the scute material off and the bone being able to dry throughly you will cut down on any infection that might be present.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.